Sunday, May 29, 2011

A Tough Decision

(Friday May 27th)

What just happened? I have no idea what to think at the moment. I cannot tell if I am happy, surprised, excited, or just plain confused. What do I do now? Let me explain….

Remember the interview I told you about? The crazy one with the guy who called me a “Farm Girl” and not sure if I could make it? Well, he calledme today, personally. He offered me the job!! WHAT?!?!

He said how he thought that I am super smart and that I could learn a lot from this position. He thought I was the best interview and I had a lot to offer. “All of Hollywood wants you, and we want you to work with us.” All of Hollywood? Haha, no. I really had no idea what to say, and he noticed I was stunned on the phone.

“Why do you sound so surprised?” Because I thought the interview didn’t go well once he called pushed me to defend myself in the interview. I told him, “I thought I ruined it when had to defend myself and got a little hot-headed.” He replied saying he used that interview to test people because he does not like to surround himself with “yes” people. He knew I could handle to pressure and get the job done.

So, with that said… I have a job offer (?!), and I am really grateful for that. Just hearing the words “we want you to come work with us” felt really great to hear. Now why am I not jumping up and down? I need to figure this out. They need an answer by mid-week.

Here is where I am with my upcoming decision…

The Cons:

  • This is not a full time job. It is only 3 months, basically to the end of the summer on Sept 2nd.
  • The company is for a marketing company that gets clients on television shows, so I would not be on production like I thought it would be.
  • There is no guarantee I would get any work after Sept 2nd, and has no benefits.
  • The work environment is going to be tough, especially seeing how the interview process went. I will definitely be working with a tough personality.
  • My hours are 6am-4pm. I have a feeling they will definitely be longer, and I soooo not a morning person.
  • The contact I may get are going to be within the marketing world instead of production.
  • No one has heard of the company within the production world, so the name on my resume may not be as strong as something like Disney or VH1.
  • I have other job leads from Nickelodeon, VH1, Disney, and NBC that I am waiting to hear back from in a few days.

The Pros:

  • Being that it is 3 months, I have work for he summer and I can look for other work and still save some money and make minimum payments (helping out the parents).
  • I will quit BJs… potentially.
  • The pay is pretty decent compared to what I thought I would get.
  • The projects/clients they have are in the television talk world, and that is exactly where I think I want to work. I could get potential contacts through that, i.e. the Dr. Drew show.
  • This gives me assistant experience, which I need more of on my resume.
  • There is room for potential advancement within the company if it is not with the show. They hire within the company.
  • It is a job and that is what I am looking for!!

So where does that leave me? I am not sure. I am still debating both sides. Am I being too picky? Or is this something worth being picky about? I know I need more information, so I am hoping to speak with a contact within the company who I know I can ask for honest answers. I need to give the company a response be mid-week, so I have a few days, but not an easy decision.

However the more I think about it, the more I am leaning towards not taking it. I am one to thrive on a work environment that complements my personality. Although this position has the type of work I want to do, it may not be the right environment. With the other leads I have, I know they are better environments, but some are not as close to the work I want to do, but I am about to hear from them in the next few days. Dilemma!

Also, I was told I made the third and final round of a PA position for Disney Animation. Although this position is only until October, it would be a great opportunity to stay within the company and learn about the animation world. There is also a chance to get extended into other projects after October, which is what my roommate has done for the last year and a half.

I also have to hear from the VH1 position I interviewed twice for as well. Her decision should come this upcoming week, and I feel like I have a good shot at it. I have yet to hear from the NBC page program result and Nickelodeon as well. These potential positions are also something I have to weigh into consideration.

I have talked to those really close to me, and the consensus is to follow my gut, but if it were them, they all said they would turn it down. I know I have other options, so I need to be able to decide amongst those. Once I talk to my contact, I think the decision would be easier.

What would you do? I will take this weekend to really sit and think on it. At least this is a good dilemma to have, as my dad said. I think this shows how things may be turning around for me. I am getting closer; I feel it. I just got to keep on plugging at it.

I hope everyone has a wonderful Memorial Day Weekend!! Talk to you later. Until then…

No comments:

Post a Comment