Tuesday, May 10, 2011

6 Months Later?!

Hello Bloggers!

I cannot believe it has been over 6 months since my last post. I have no idea where the time went. SOOOO much has happened in my life that I need to tell you. It has been quite a ride. I will skip the small talk and just get right back into it. I am not sure where to begin other than giving you a quick summary of my various experiences instead of going week by week.

Here we go....

On November 1st, 2010, I started my internship working in the talent department for a top, new show that I cannot legally name. This is where I last left you. I am not sure if I told you of the dilemma of how I got there, but in short, I had to pay for school credit. I paid UCLA money in order to receive college credit that would allow me to work for free. Backwards, right (especially for a college graduate)? But that's the way it is. This became my 8th internship... and I had the time of my life.

The reason why I stopped blogging back in the fall was because I signed a contract saying I would not blog about my time on the staff, and I did not want to risk that chance. As much as I wanted to share all that was happening, I couldn't.

I can say, however, that this was the best internship I ever had; and I really wanted to stay. I hoped that there would be a chance for me to get hired on by the show if I really proved myself. I worked so hard, and I loved every minute of it. I was lucky to be in between the stage hands and the production offices, so I got to work with everyone on the show. I loved the department I was in, although it may not be a career path for me, and I learned a lot. I was able to use my Walt Disney World Guest Relations skills everyday and meet new people.

The world inside this show was unlike any production I have ever worked on. It was organized, on time, and the staff just meshed together. It is basically a dream job for anyone who wants to be in this business. I was fortunate and got used in many departments and had some pretty extraordinary experiences, but unfortunately, all good things must come to an end.

By February, all my money was spent. I had risked everything just for the chance to work on the show. I got a part time job working at BJs Brewery in Burbank as a host as a way to support myself while I "volunteered". However, even working at a restaurant part time does not keep you afloat forever. My money was literally gone. I was down to 80 bucks in my back account, and I had no way to afford to pay for school in order to stay on as an intern. It was time to move on and get a job. This does not mean I was not upset about leaving.

Leaving the show was one of the hardest experiences I have had out here, and I miss it everyday. I can only hope to work in an environment like that again. I did come away with amazing connections, memories, experiences, and most important, the nickname "Viking Girl".
Although the risk did not yield the desired result I had hoped (getting hired), I do not regret anything. It was a risk I am happy I took and I would do it again if I could afford too. Those four months were definitely some of the happiest I had ever had, not just in LA, but from my entire 6 years of being in this industry. I cannot thank them enough for that opportunity, but I needed to face the reality of finding a job.

I wish I could tell you more specifics, but unfortunately, I cannot. If you want to know more, feel free to email me or reach out to me, and I would love to share my experiences. Just know that the head boss-man was really amazing and a nice guy, as are the rest of the staff. That is as short as a summary as I can give for now. I will follow up with my other experiences in the next few posts.

I am sorry for my long absence, but I assure you, I am here to stay now. Once I am caught up, my weekly posts will resume. Until then...

No comments:

Post a Comment