Friday, May 13, 2011

The Strangest Interview

(written on May 4th)

Okay, so I just need to write about this interview I had today; I am not quite sure how I feel about it. It caused a spiral web of thoughts and emotions and nothing at the same time. It was just… strange.

I was called in to interview for this marketing/broadcast television company in the Valley. I did not know much more than that going into the interview. Once I got there, I met with the CEO of the company and he was just full of energy and got right to the point.

“Jersey, huh?” he asked (he was from PA originally). “I use these interviews to get down to a deep level. I am going to ask you tough questions and I expect you to do the same.”

I was chosen out of 650+ applicants to be one of the four to interview for the position. I guess that is an achievement in itself. Anyway, the questions came and went. He was asking me about my experiences, why I have not been able to land a job in a year, etc.; questions I hate getting asked.

Halfway through the interview he got serious. He mentioned how my resume and cover letter were excellent.

“On paper, you are very driven, forward and strong.” He said my resume was the best he has seen in a long time. “However, I am not getting that in person. There is a huge disconnect between what I see on paper and how I see you in person. You look like you are from the Midwest… “ (I have never even been in the Midwest) At this point, I knew things were going to get interesting, and I was slightly irritated.

“I am going to be rude now.”

“Go for it,” I said.

“You literally look like you are a farm girl from small town Mid-West Ohio who thought she’d move and try to make it in the big city, and frankly, I don’t think you can do it. What do you have to say to that?”

Really!? In my mind, I was about to go off. Does he know who he was dealing with? I have gone through so many interviews the past few months and I am tired of putting up with crap. So what did I do? I went off…. In a professional manner of course.

“First, thank you for pointing that out. BUT…What part of me screams “farm girl? To you. Yes, I am tall and blonde and nice-mannered, but I believe that one can be a morally good person and not lose themselves in order to make it in this industry. I refuse to become the antithesis of who I want to work for. I do not believe I need to become jaded, and I am sick of having people doubt me for my niceness. Nice does not mean incapable! Secondly, I have grown up outside Manhattan, went to school in Boston and moved to LA. How does that equate to farm girl? Thirdly, what have I done to you in the last ten minutes that gave you reasoning to believe I cannot do this? I am a goal-oriented person, and I go after what I want when I want. My resume and cover letter is my voice me in “business” tone. Why does being a blonde girl or nice girl mean I cannot handle this?! I get along with most anyone; I just need to know how you work so we don’t collide in conflict. I assure you, a nice “farm girl” can handle it!”

That was the jist. I just refuse to put of with people telling me “no” and not believing in me. I know I can do this. If anything, I would think people would want to hire a nice person so it represents their business in a good light. Perhaps I am wrong?

It was my time to grill him in return for all he was worth, so I asked him really tough questions just to try and get back at him with no fear. “Are you happy?” “Why do you not already have an assistant if you have needed one for so long?” “Did you accomplish all you wanted in your career?” “What are your faults as an executive that I would need to cover in order for you to get through the day?” etc…

After the interview was over, he told me I make a really great interview. Really? I am still unsure if that means we ended it on good terms or if it was awkward.

I called my mom shortly after because I was so confused about mentally. Is this the reason why I have not been hired? Because I look nice? I refuse to believe this! But this interview does raise to light a possible explanation for why I have not gotten a job. I have told a few others the story, and got reactions saying, “That guy is an idiot.” I hope they are right. I do not take it personally, but he may have a point that is worth considering: maybe there is a disconnect between my strength on paper and myself in person. It is something I need to be more aware of each time I meet with someone. I believe I represent myself well in interviews, being all bubbly, enthusiastic and professional.

This interview was just such a strange experience, I really do not know what else to say. It did however leave me feeling I need to stand up for myself more and tell potential employers that I may be nice, but that does not mean I am incapable. In fact, I wrote and email to the executives for the dream job I wanted about the situation. It was a forward email, but I feel I need to be more aggressive and really say how I feel about the situation.

I just wanted to share this crazy LA experience #357 with you all. The email I wrote is posted below. Feel free to read it if you want. Thanks for letting me blow off some steam. I cannot wait to prove this man wrong! Guess I won’t be getting the job.

Until the next job interview… hopefully tomorrow will be better.

EMAIL:

Hi _______,

Hope you don't mind me emailing you again, but I wanted to let you know that I am still here and highly interested in the assistant position. I know no decision has been made yet, and may not be for a while, but I wanted to give you an update from my end with a strange event that happened today.

I had an interview with a company for an assistant to three execs. The one exec I met was very forward and pushed some tough questions… The interview was very intense… but it made me realize a few things, and this is why I tell you this story. I wanted to let you know that I am aware how I come across in person: polite, energetic, nice, etc. But I wanted to take this chance and say please do not underestimate my politeness as a reason for why I cannot do my job. I am a firm believer that business, no matter how cutthroat, can be done in a civilized and genuine manner. I do not believe you have to be jaded to make it in this industry, and I know you are an excellent example of this. Nice does not equal incapable.

I would not normally email this type of message to you, but at this point, I have nothing to lose. You know I want to be a part of your team, and I am unsure of how your decision will sway, and that is out of my hands, but regardless, I just wanted to chance to tell you to please understand that me being polite in business does not infringe on my capability of my performance. I hope you do not mind me being forward with you on this, but it has become a hot topic for me over the last year.

Anyway, I hope you are all doing well…I look forward to talking to you soon!

Ashley


No comments:

Post a Comment