Sunday, May 29, 2011

Meetings in NYC

(Thursday May 26th)

I just got back in from a nice night in the city. I cannot explain to you how great it feels to be in New York again. Tall buildings, busy streets, places to go, and public transportation to get you there!

I have actually been in the city twice this week for various meetings I had set up. On Tuesday, I came in early in the morning to visit an executive at MTV Networks. She was really great. I enjoyed what she had to say because she works within the events department, which is becoming something I seriously want to pursue if production/television does not pan out.

The second girl I met was with Nickelodeon as an assistant. She had a very rocky beginning like I have, and she now loves what she does. She gave me good insight and a new perspective that things will work out for me. I just need the “right place at the right time” deal to happen.

After those meetings, I met up with two BU friends of mine for lunch and a coffee. It was great to see them. It made me wonder if I really see myself back East or not. I know I am an East Coast girl, but where I want to settle, I am still unsure.

I can totally see myself in NYC as a career woman, but not sure if I would live back at home or move into the city. I would want to stay at home for sure, but the commuting and the responding to parental favors would get to me after a while. Then again, living in the city is $$$$ and I don’t have to do that. Plus the city can become overwhelming at times to live, so I would enjoy the break of scenery. The idea of living in NYC is not super thrilling to me, or at least not my first choice. Not sure.

I have been applying to jobs in NYC though, like I have the last 2 years. Nothing has turned up yet. I am leaving it open ended to see where life takes me. Plus, if I leave LA and return to NYC with no job, I feel like I am losing my network foundation I had established out there and worked so hard to get. It’s a tough scenario.

As for tonight, I was at a BU Almuni event. Andy Cohen, of Bravo TV, aka the Reunion man, was the speaker. He graduated from my school in 1990, and has had a very successful career. It was great getting to hear his side of things.

I noticed all the women were so well dressed! Not one slutty girl around! Maybe I have become desensitized by working at an unglamorous restaurant named BJs, but NYC women were so classy! All corporate. No boobs, no booty shorts, but well dressed, flattering outfits. I felt like I was in the right mix again with my intelligent peers that I miss being around.

After the event, 3 of my fellow BU buds went for pizza and a beer to catch up. It was such a great time! NYC PIZZA… how I missed you!! We chatted it up, laughed, and ate. Perfect night out in Soho. There was even a tuba band playing as we were next to a random carnival. I could totally see that being a part of my life, however, dealing with public transportation can be hard at times.

I missed my train by 5 minutes, so I had to wait another hour to get the next one.. AND… they raised the tickets by almost 4 dollars each way now. Boo. I eventually made it home… as you can tell I’m blogging.

Being in NYC has been so great this week! I will return someday, just not sure when. We will see… Until then…

Goodnight!

No comments:

Post a Comment