Sunday, May 29, 2011

What’s Done is Done

Monday, May 23rd)

One more thing I would like to address before bedtime.

I went to the Doctor today for my back. Not sure if you guys know, but I hurt my back over the holidays this year and I never fully recovered. Although I am fine now and feel no pain, I have had some side effects. I have lost feeling in my left leg in some areas.

My pinky toe is constantly on pins and needles, as if it is always asleep. That tingling sensation travels along the left side of my food to my heel. Then from the Achilles tendon put to a few inches higher than my knee on the back of my leg, I have no feeling at all. It is just numb. I was hoping there would be a chance to restore some of the feeling back, hence the doctor’s visit.

Well, the news is what I expected, but not what I wanted to hear. Because I have such a major disk herniation, the nerve is ultimately dying. Once a nerve decides to stop working, it is permanent. Unless my body decides to heal itself somehow magically, I will have to live with loss of feeling the rest of my life.

I remember learning this through my science days. I know the nerves in the nervous system do not have the same reproductive abilities as say blood cells do. It has to do with the synapses and communication between the nerve endings. Like an electrical circuit, it can just short circuit and never work, and ultimately has to be replaced. Well you cannot replace your nerves, so I will just have to live with it.

I know that as frustrating and annoying loss of feeling really is, I could have so many other problems to live with. I am lucky it is only this. I mean, I don’t have Rheumatoid arthritis like my mother has to live, or a real illness. This is just inconvenient.

Anyway, what is done is done. There is no treatment, and it is irreversible. Oh well. I just hope that I stay in good enough shape the rest of my life to prevent it from getting worse. Just thought you should know.

Night!

No comments:

Post a Comment