Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Am I April's Fool?

So we are now almost caught up, yay! Even though April was only about two weeks ago, the month seemed to have gone by in a flash, and yet it seems there is not much to really report on it.

Basically, the job search has full steam ahead, but yielding no permanent results. I have not had a job since the promotions department over a month ago. I am making my living, if you call it that, really just rent money, via my hosting gig at BJs. I make about 400-500 bucks a month, so I have to come up with the extra cash through other gigs. Somehow I have been able to pull it off 12 of the 13 months I have now been out here.

However, I am not sure I can handle life in the restaurant business much longer. I really like the people I work with, but it's the job itself and the people I have to deal with that make it miserable. Do I really want to be 24 years old and cleaning the women's bathroom with my hands? Nope. Do I want to be almost two years out of college to be cleaning menus? No way. I have been getting an itch this month, and it is getting harder to ignore it - an itch for change.

I am getting really antsy being in the apartment, doing the same job search everyday. Although I am unemployed, I am anything but bored. Because I am so organized in my job search, I get about 3-5 interviews a week with about 2 or so "meet and greets" a week as well. On top of that I go to the gym two hours each day. I am always running around despite being unemployed.

The job interviews go really well, and I honestly think I get close to getting it, and then I find out, of course, I didn't. I got over four job rejections in one day about three weeks ago, and it hurt.

My daily job search includes: applying to 3 jobs, reaching out to two contacts (1 new and 1 old) in the industry, check for new job postings on at least 3 career websites a day, update contacts via email and keep track of correspondence in my database. All this work can consume easily 3-8 hours depending on the day.

Finding a job has become my job. I easily dedicate over 40 hours a week to trying to hustle and make connections. For example, one day last week consisted of 2 hours at the gym, go to an interview, drive straight to a meet and greet with a top producer, and then had to drive to BJs for work.

Since March, I would say I have been on maybe 20 interviews, and it seems I still come second. I am even starting to look for jobs that are out of my comfort zone, like a payroll position for a management company (what?). The days are starting to blend in with one another. I am forgetting the dates, days, and time. The monotony is great for someone who likes to be on my own schedule, but it is so hard to stay focused and remain undiscouraged. I do feel like a breakdown will be coming soon.

I did apply for a dream job with Disney Channel in mid April, so we will see how that goes. I pray really hard that this will come through, because it seems to be everything I have been waiting for to start my career. The interview went really well and I really liked the executives. We will see.

I am lucky about the job search going well and actually getting interviews, but I am ready for the job! I need it to come soon. I thought for sure I would have it by now, but I need to take it one day at a time. I am starting to come up with some side projects, so I will start those soon, I guess.

I will try to pursue more PA work. The Trisuit event happened this month that I mentioned a few posts ago. At least some work is coming though. I just hope my network will work for me soon.

Another interesting point I wanted to raise was the fact that it occured to me I may be beyond an entry level position. Technically, I have been working for a year, but in different facets of the industry, and just not as regular as I would like. My skills are now above an entry level position, and I actually have been getting some interviews for Coordinator roles. It would be nice to get one of those and skip the assistant, but not sure. It is a bit confusing because I still need to get my first real job, but at the same time, I may be over qualified? Strange isn't it.

And the last point I wanted to raise about the job search this month was that I decided to subscribe to one recruiting website. Media-Match.com has actually gotten me two interviews, but I just had to pay for their application services. I think it is so unfair that I have to pay in order to apply for a job! Applying for a job is an American right! I have no money to offer, but in order to get to the good positions, I have to pay to apply. Am I a fool for paying for these sites? Or am I am fool not too? Although I found a good deal, and it yielded 2 interviews, I still feel completely opposed to paying to job opportunities. It is so wrong!

Sorry... tangent... sore subject.

Overall, April has been really uneventful. Just job application followed by interview followed by rejection. At least I have Bjs for now... California did just pass a new law saying that I have to pay to take a mandatory restaurant safety course in order to work in a restaurant. I am hoping to get hired by the June 1st due date for that course, because I have NO MONEY! I cannot possibly afford the $100 dollars for the course. That is ridiculous.

I will have to try to find another path. I will continue to wait on that dream job to come through. I really feel like this could be it for me! I just keep praying it will happen. I have had three interviews for it. That's good, right?!

Okay... i'll stop obsessing. I have three or four other interviews I am waiting to hear back on, so maybe those will come through as well. One is for VH1 Talent. I never thought of actually pursuing that as a career path, but I am surprisingly interested in it. Cross fingers!

Until then... April has come and gone... and left is a fool still without a job. Change come now!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment