Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Osama's Death - My Take

We all know Osama is gone, and I must say, "Good riddance!" It was about time we found him and we caught him.

Writing about this makes me a little uneasy because I know the reaction to Osama's death has been very mixed. NYC and DC celebrated with cheers when the news broke out, and if I were back East when the news broke out, I would have gone to ground zero to be a part of the moment. However, being out here in LA, it seems that society has granted a different type of feeling, rather one of indifference.

It seemed that with the news of Osama, not many people out here cared. In fact, with a few of the other blogs I follow and a few people I talked with, it seemed people were sad we were celebrating the death of one man. I understand that point, but I guess I feel a lot stronger about his death than most people would because of how close we were to the actual event.

I don't talk about it much, and I still hate seeing footage of 9/11, but I still can get a bit emotional about the events of that day. I have supported to war effort in the Middle East because I knew we would not be safe otherwise, and plus, I wanted the man, who caused such a horrific accident and altered the world in which I live, gone. He hurt my friends, their families, and killed people in my town. How can I not take it personally?

It's not that I want revenge, because one man is never going to make up for the 3,000 lives lost on that tragic day that is forever seared into my memory. I just want the threat gone. Osama was our generation's Hitler, and he needed to be stopped. The war is far from over, but the leader is gone.

I had ice cream with two of my BU friends the other night because we all felt the same about Osama's death. It felt like no one out here cared. To prove that point, here are a few instances I personally witnessed. The news was on at work during the day. It seemed I was the only one informed or aware of the details of how the operation went down. When I asked others about it, they had nothing but an appeasing "umhmm" reply.

At work, I wanted to watch the news, but unfortunately a few guests complained that they wanted the Lakers game or Ducks game on instead, so within 30 seconds, the National headlines was gone and the sports were full screen. Sports overtook the biggest national news we have had in nearly a decade. Ugh!

Secondly, another instance that frustrated me was while hosting, some actor that I did not recognize entered the bar area. he was from One Tree Hill or something. I was in the middle of a conversation when he sat, and I lost the focus with the person I was talking too. I turn the corner and I see all 7 girl waitresses staring at him from that back of the restaurant all huddled together talking about whether he will notice them or not. Would no one talk to me about it? He is the murderer of my friend's family, my neighbors! It seemed they could care less. It frustrates me that people out here really cannot hold a good conversation other than what's happening in the industry out here.

The three of us discussed this issue because it really bothered us on how there was such a lack of response from LAers about Osama. Maybe because we were so close to the events, and Calfiornians really have no concept of the events of 9/11, but it is still disturbing how news of a world-wide massive murderer can go unchecked.

I hope that is not the future for our world. I hope by Osama being gone that the world's future is altered for the better.

Sorry is this is really strong, but I had to relay how I felt about it. Osama is gone, as are he lives he took, but I will never forget. Good job, President Obama, on executing such a top operation with no American casualties. I just hope the rest of the country cares as much as I.

No comments:

Post a Comment