Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Quick Realization

I think I just had a quick realization this afternoon that I cannot do journalistic news for a career. Today, there was a horrific accident at Sea World. My friend is a trainer there, so I texted her to make sure she was okay. Thank God, she is alright.

I know that this is a really hard time for everyone who works there, as these accidents never happen, if they do, they are extremely rare. The last thing I want to do is to push my friend for details about something that is so tragic, plus confidential, from the media. As of the first hour of the news break, the woman involved has not had her name released.

Knowing that my potential job is in Orlando, I emailed my job contact about the story saying I heard about it and I hope everyone is alright. Within seconds, I was asked to verify the details with my friend about whom was involved. I would be a second source. Whether this was meant to be or not, I saw this as my first test to see if I could do the job for which I am applying.

I asked my friend, but I felt really dirty and weird about it. It was as if I was using her for information that didn't benefit me but someone else. I didn't need to know the information. I realized right then, I cannot do journalistic reporting. I can do the work no problem, but it is the ethics behind it that rub me the wrong way. It is too intrusive. I felt guilty asking my friend for such sensitive information. For that one instance, I felt I was on the wrong side. I need to support her and respect her privacy, not go instigating for insensitive details. Even if I were just a source to confirm whatever facts they currently have, I didn't like the feeling of pushing and being insensitive during her time of grief. So it just occurred to me, if I cannot do investigate via text message in good conscience, then how can I do it on the job? Unfortunately, I don't think I can.

Thus, I found the answer to my question about the decision I would have to make about the job offer if I were to get it. No. I need to decline. I want to be proud of my work, not scared of it. I want people to embrace it, not get angry with it or fear it. That stands against all of my integrity as an employee and my ethics as a person. Guess I am not the next Barbara Walters.

It's hard to admit that I cannot do something. Oh well... sad.... Okay... over it! This is the final decision I need to confirm my career path. This is exactly what I needed. I don't have to wait on the answer anymore because I have my mind made up. It's like Pocahantas when she chooses the hardest path of the river. Moving to Orlando would have been really easy, and the job career path would have been smooth, but it's not the right path for me. The fork in the road is now a straight line, and it feels good. LA ENTERTAINMENT here I come! I feel that is the right direction.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for not stooping to the level of the media. The local media here in Orlando (and probably the rest of the country) are horrible about this sort of thing. Back in July, when the Monorail incident happened, multiple news stations bought the toy monorail sets, and "re-created" the accident. I found that incredibly distasteful. If someone died in a car crash on I-4, they didn't get out the hotwheels cars and "re-create" the accident, why should they do it when it's a monorail?

    Good luck with the job and the move to LA. Next time I come to Disneyland, we'll have to do dinner!

    ReplyDelete