Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Legally Blonde!

As most of you know, I am BLONDE! I am not fake, highlighted or dyed blonde. I am an all natural B.L.O.N.D.E!

I mentioned before on my Body Types entry, that I had some insecurities of being yellow haired when I was a kid, but now I love it! It makes me stand out, and is the main description of how people remember me.

I do have the occasional blonde moments, especially when I am being silly. I don't mind, I can get away with them. But do not underestimate me! Unlike many of my fellow "fake" blondettes, I am a blonde full of ambition and drive. I am a blonde on a mission.

I identify fully with Elle Woods of Legally Blonde the movie. She was a leader of her sorority, liked by many, polite and sweet. She set her eyes on a goal to get into Law School and had a mission. The downside, not many people fully believed in her or took her seriously.

Although this is just a movie, I can definitely say that I have had my fair share of doubtful supporters. I am part of a minority in the world. Only 1-6% of all people are blonde, and that may extend to dirty blonde, strawberry blonde, and other mixes. I am a strawberry blonde in the winter, but in the summer I become super white like angel's hair. Anyway, I am in the 1-6%. That is smaller than many minority percentages. Being blonde comes with a stereotype of not being serious, being easy, and just floating through life. I take this as a giant challenge. I do not want to fall into that category or confirm others' doubts.

Like Elle, I need to and want to prove myself against the rest, and I feel that I have in many instances in my life. For example, at 15, I started EMT training. I was in a class of all adults, and I was often the brunt of a joke of varying topics (especially blonde jokes). After 6 months of classes, only 20% of my class survived the course, and only 50% of those left over passed the test. I did it. Not only that, I did basketball, track, school, volleyball, and maintained 4.0 gpa outside of the course. I was proud of myself. Other instances vary but include how I have ambitions to work for some top companies and get contacts that many people struggle too get (which I have done).

I think the biggest challenge for me is to get people to see beyond the blondeness at times. I understand it is their first impressions of me, but what I want people to know is that I am smart. Proving that I am smart is often harder than it seems, because some people are initially against it. How can a blonde be really smart? HA! Good joke!

Being called smart is really important to me because it tends to describe your ability to do a job or a talent. I would rather be known as the smart blonde than the other way around. Similar to Elle Woods, I am an intelligent person who happens to be blonde. She didn't get much credit about her intelligence, yet she finished top of her class (I do know it is also Hollywood, but it proves my point). I didn't graduate Magna Cume Laude in a top 50 school or graduate top 15% of my high school class based on how I looked. It was drive and discipline.

One instance where I ability and looks did not mesh was this summer. In FL, I interviewed with a restaurant. Although I had no restaurant experience, I wanted to host or waitress. I gave my resume and started to state why I could do it, but within 30 seconds the manager stopped me.

"You're hired." He said. "You look great, and you fit the body type we are looking for in our employees. So just come back for your official interview next week, but you are what we want just the way you are."

I never returned. It bothered me because he hired me only based on appearance... because I was blonde. He didn't care about work ethic or experience. Taking that job was against everything I believed in of proving myself. I know being blonde will probably help me in my career if we base things on looks, but I do not want that to be a reason why I get a job.

I am excited to work and prove everyone that I CAN do everything I set my mind too. At the moment, that is breaking into the entertainment industry. That alone is hard enough on its own. When I tell people that I want to work for the Disney Studios or become an Executive Producer, I get all sorts of reactions. "Oh that's really hard." "It's really competitive." "I have never heard someone who actually made it." "It's great to dream about it but realistically there are no jobs in that." The list goes on.

I do not shy away from the competition. I am already competitive, and I know this goal is realistic and practical. I hate cynicism, and I want to prove everybody wrong! I know what I am doing and I will not let their doubts get in my way. Watch me!

Like Elle Woods, who accomplishes everything she set her mind too, I know I can, no, WILL, do the same. I just happen to be blonde along the way. That is my mission. Take it or leave it, I will remain Legally Blonde!

No comments:

Post a Comment