Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Yours, Mine and Ours

Have you ever said something was yours when it really wasn't? Like, is that your car (when it's your parent's)? Yes. Is that your shirt (when it's your sister's)? Yes. Well, why do we do that? It's not lying, it is just possessing something you have that technically is not yours.

What I am trying to get at is, I still claim things are mine, even when they are clearly not. One clear example is my family's 2003 Camry. It is a car all six of us share; the family car. I have just been blessed enough to have used it for most of 2009. I had it in LA and FL. People would ask, "is that yours?"
"Yes." Well, it was. I was using it, so it was mine. The tiny details didn't matter. It's not lying, it is just the short answer.

Normally this stuff does not bother me, but one instance of this did yesterday. I was on the phone with my roommate in FL, well now, former roommate I guess, and we were talking about the apartment. I stated how it was "our" apartment, and talked about "my" room. We stopped the conversation to point out that it was not "mine" or "ours" but "his". He had a point!

Why do I still claim it was mine or that I was still involved in it? I still do that to my family. When I talk about the apt, I call it my apt, or my room, despite not living in it for almost 2 months now.

It's not a big deal, but I realize I still identify myself living in FL. Is this a good or bad thing? Change is always been one of the hardest things I have had to accept, but I really do not know why I do this.

I won't worry about it anymore, because it is not a big thing to worry about. I just don't get why I do it. Oh well. Just had to write about it. Cannot wait till I actually have a MY own place someday!

Till then... missing my FL apartment. Wait, ours. No, yours. ugh, whatever... NOT MINE! I'm working on it. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment