Monday, February 22, 2010

What Motivates You?

What is it that makes you do what you want to do? Is it drive, desire, fear of failure, hope to make money... what? Every person is driven by something. In the Purpose book that I have been reading, one chapter that I have found pretty challenging is discovering what force drives me. To be honest, I really have no idea.

The chapter went on to say the top five forces that drive people: guilt, fear, anger, materialism and need for approval. Each of those five things are so simple, yet so true. Once you understand this, your approach to how you accomplish your goals changes. Knowing what drives you gives you a new sense of purpose. So what motivates you? Also, what would your family say that motivates you? You may have two different answers.

I thought these would be easily answered, but it's not. These questions really got to the core of me because it really defines how you approach life. I want to say that I am driven by my own self ambition, but I am sure my family would probably say I am driven by some form of approval. Being the oldest, you are expected to make a good example for the younger siblings. So your "example" is really approval by both parents and siblings; therefore, you are driven by getting approval. I am not going to deny this.

Yes, being approved and making my family proud is a big factor in my life, but I do not want to be solely defined by what others think of me. I am a unique individual, so I am okay with being not totally understood. If you were to ask me what drives me, my answer would be "to make a difference." I want to be able to influence and make someone's life better. That is why I wanted to be a doctor growing up and became an EMT at 16. That still hasn't change.

Going into entertainment still keeps up with my mission. I may not be able to personally change someone's life, but I will be able to create a product (movie, tv show, characters...) that people can identify with. That is why working at Walt Disney World has been great for me. Although my personal presence is not life changing, I am just part of a giant experience the guests go through. I was a part of something greater than myself. Even by saying hello directly enriched one's personal experience. Now working in entertainment, I can give people something that they will love and love to talk about. Movies, television and art are all massive influencers. I may not make influence one person directly, but rather I can be a part of something that influences people on a massive level. How many people would love to have that opportunity?

Anyway, that was a tangent. I hope that I am driven by my desire to make a difference, whether that be on a personal or massive scale. Furthermore, I want to experience everything in life. This fact drives me to travel, meet all sorts of people, and never say no to something I have never done.

I think that is a pretty good answer to that question. No? The book also states, "There is nothing quite as potent as a focused life, one lived on purpose..If you want your life to have impact, focus it!" (page 32) I feel that I am focusing it, especially trying to understand what drives me, and it is making me thirsty to get a job and a start on life again. I needed to feel this drive come back; it is giving me a new sense of direction. Afterall, the greatest tragedy is not dying, but living a life without purpose (page 30).

So I pose the same question to you. What motivates you? What do you want it to be? Knowing that answer, will you change the way you live your life? I would love to know your answer.

No comments:

Post a Comment