Saturday, June 19, 2010

Temping in the Land of Production

(written for 5/24-5/28)

Week in Production at the Studios...CHECK!

Overall this week was pretty laid back, believe it or not.

From 5/24-5/25, I was interning. What more needs to be said about that other than I am the only girl in a 5 person office, not doing much, read a script, worked looong hours, and that's it. Done.

So from Wed-today, I was in Production! It went really well once again. This time, I was able to meet most or many people on the floor. I work next to the offices of the President of Production, who is a very serious man, but I recognize him from the research I've done the last few years.

My one boss, is actually from my neighboring home town, so go NJ! He is really neat and laid back. The other exec I cover for is a woman who is eccentric and a bit quirky, but never a dull moment in her offices.

This week, I learned the ins and outs on to how the floor works. I am seeing the execs that I met with on my Meet and Greets, and they ask me what I am doing here. Hhaha, I love to answer that question.

I am learning about the budgets for the films, some of the production deals, and various types of paper work. Not too exciting, but absolutely vital to the process. The others I work with are super nice and friendly. Not too many young faces so the culture of the company is quite different, but that is for another entry.

Luckily, I am coming into the floor at a pretty calm time period. With all of the leadership changes these last few months, there are no new projects coming through, so things are slow. I have taken advantage of this time and have started organizing everything from the kitchen to the supply closet, both are in need of some major reorganization!

I don't mind organizing actually, as it is one of my greatest strengths, and I find it quite soothing. Not only that, but organizing those main common areas leads to great networking chances and opportunities to be seen by others. I have actually met quite a few others with this tactic.

I wish I had something more exciting to say about the Production floor, but I am just getting used to it, and it has been calm on both sides. I act mainly as a support to the other assistants, who are not giving me too much work because I don't know the processes yet for them. At least I offer.

I can see myself staying staying in this position for a year or so, because it is meant for just that, an entry level position to gain a foundation of production. Well it is memorial weekend, so I will be back next week with more updates!

No comments:

Post a Comment