Monday, June 28, 2010

A Change in Atmosphere

There is paint on the walls! There is paint on the walls!! Never in my life have I been so happy to have paint on the walls.

I believe I have written about the decor of the Production floor compared to the wonderful vitality of the animation world, right? I hope so. If I have not, all you need to know is the floor that is the magic of "Production" is all but a labyrinth of white walls and grey-walled cubicles. For a floor that is not very creative in nature to begin with, being all logistics, finance and numbers, the walls definitely reciprocated that spirit, or lack there of.

So, I have returned from a week away at work, and I am happy to see PAINT ON ALL THE WALLS!! A major improvement! The walls are now various colors of a pumpkin/burnt orange and a warm red. The outside walls are also painted a slight grey, but no one would notice a difference until you look in the corners where the old white meets the grey.

With these new colors, come new matching couches that are a pale green color. I think we wanted to remake the fall colors of the Northeast that maybe LA never gets? Maybe? For whatever reason, it seems fall has made its way to the decor. So now it is my job to do research for the new accent pillows to tie in the wall colors and the couches. According to my boss, the couches look like the "lobby of an automotive car dealership!" HA!

I think the best new physical attribute to the floor is the new hallway sign added to the wall of the floor. There, is the new proud display of Mickey holding the slate with the letters "Walt Disney Studios" Production. Well, that's what was outlined on the wall as I watched the man prepare to hang the letters. I will take a picture of it tomorrow and definitely confirm its saying.

However, despite all of the new physical changes, I had a conversation with a fellow co-worker that was the best change of all. As you can tell, I have been kind of low in spirit before I left for home with the dramatic change in company culture, well according to my co-worker, that is now changing for the better. He told me in our 15 minute, detailed conversation how myself, another fellow perm temp from NJ, a new girl as a production coordinator, and the girl I'm replacing now working down the hall, are all contributing to a change in atmosphere.

Apparently, in his words, for years the floor has been a portable floor, meaning various production teams on different films are always cycling in and out. This constant change makes it hard for those execs in Disney to really connect with co-workers, so they have developed a sense of stiffness and distance. This is why the floor has become so...boring (?) in personality.

Now with the four of us girls, all young, and really new to the production world, we are brining on a new attitude. Because we are new, none of us are jaded yet, and we have a desire to want to be around it all. This, according to him, is very refreshing, and he can feel a change in the atmosphere of the office. I, on the other hand, have had the opposite reaction, but at least I know my presence is not going unnoticed.

He even said to me that is seems everyone knows me. Yes, I am always talking to others, but he admitted he had no idea I was a temp until we met. He thought I had been working here for over a year. He continued to say that he feels with me and the other girls around the office, the executives are becoming less tense and feel a more "youthful spirit" happening again; things are more lose and less tensive.

I really hope this is true and it is not just him. I would love to think that we have had this impact on the floor. It means that we are noticed, important for everyone to want us here, and maybe it could lead to a possible job. I have noticed though within my three weeks here, even the "toughest" reputable people are starting to say hi to me or have calmed a bit. I say this is due to the fact productions are slowing down since the "New Regime" has not greenlit anything yet, but who knows.

I think another proof that this is change of atmosphere is changing was through the party I tried to plan for while I was away. Apparently every one of the 100+ people we invited came. According to the execs, no one has ever really showed before. I guess people are really looking for a way to enjoy what they do if others give a reason to celebrate. I wish I was part of the party, but my boss told me we should plan one for every quarter of the year! Fine by me, I must have done something right!

Anyway, this conversation has made my week. Sorry this was a longer entry tonight. It does not seem like much, but when you don't have much of a voice or much to lean on, even the smallest detail or comment tends to mean the world at times. This was one of those times.

I am happy to see a change in atmosphere happening on the floor. I can only see it improving from here; I just hope the weather does the same. Down with June Gloom!!

No comments:

Post a Comment