Saturday, June 19, 2010

Needed: Emergency Temp!

(written on 5/19/10)

Wow, you would not believe what has happened today, and it feels so good! I still cannot believe it! After being down on my luck yesterday after that hard realization, I think God reached out to me and changed my luck. I was called in this morning to an emergency temp coverage for a girl I met over a month ago.

Let me back up. I got in contact with this girl from a former M&G contact in the talent department who forwarded me her information. We met for lunch one afternoon, and we realized just how similar we are. Both tall, blonde haired girl with blue eyes, a passion for Disney, and who were both Tourguides for the Theme Parks (I was WDW as she was DLR). We have the same story with the same ambitions, just that she is graduated in 2008 and has had her position for almost 2 years.

She is the Staff Assistant to the Physical Production offices for Walt Disney Pictures. :) In short, she carries the hats of multiple roles for the department. First, she serves as the 2nd assistant to two different executives: the EVP and SVP of Physical Production. Second, she is also the floor "kitchen keeper" and assistant to the productions on the floor.

I am not sure if I told you, but most of my Meet & Greets over the last two months have been on the same floor of one of the lot buildings. This floor carries the execs for Physical Production, meaning the logistical side of production like budgets, travel, schedules, post production, etc (the "non-creative" side). But not just those execs are there, but the production offices for the new films starting or currently in production. Usually, there are about 3-4 films located on this floor at all times. So to me, this floor is exactly where I need to be!

Therefore, when I received the call to come in for the girl for just the day, of course I said, "yes!".

It turns out that the executives I was working for, were some I had made plans in the upcoming weeks to meet with, so this was perfect! I was able to talk to them while temp and get paid! The day went pretty well, I did not need to cover much but answer phones, send some emails, and make paper deliveries around the floor. I could not believe at all that I was here. I just wanted it to last.

Although this floor is very corporate, meaning white walls, cubicles everywhere, and silent hallways, I felt like I could see myself here for a while. The people were nice for the most part, but all are so busy I could not really sit and chat with many. The funny thing was I am constantly being called by the girl's name because people think we look identical. Ironically enough, that is also my sister's name.

The day came and went, and by the end of it, I had a nice surprise. The girl will be going out of town for three days before Memorial Weekend next weekend, and they want to request me to cover. YES! OF COURSE! So starting next Wednesday, I will be back! I am on cloud nine. Then on top of that, I am invited to her themed 1940s party on Friday! Awesome!

So to treat myself and get ready for the party, I went to H&M, and had my first ever shopping spree! If you know me, you know I am not one to shop, but I do enjoy my summer dresses. H&M was perfect for this 1940s party, I bought about 10 pieces of clothing for it, knowing that i could wear all of it currently. I spent more than I wanted too, but for the first time, instead of freaking out about it, I could actually afford it! Is this what making money feels like? If so, I love this feeling.

Part of me misses those WDW minimum wage, penny-pinching days, but I will enjoy making and saving what I can, because this economy has taught me that it all can change in a second.

To that... I had a great day today! One of the best. I look forward to next week for work, and tomorrow for DLR because my friend from FL is in town! Until then...goodnight!

No comments:

Post a Comment