Saturday, June 19, 2010

Change of Circumstance

(written for 6/2-6/4)

Today was my the end of my three day assignment covering the desk of the assistant to the exec in charge of Special Effects. I was not sure what to expect, but it been a relatively stress-free assignment. I would have written more, but not much happened.

The exec was actually away in Hawaii for the start of Pirates 4, which starts production next week. I just had to wait for calls to come in and relay the messages via email, but I think 2 people called a day. So I basically hung out in the office, and the exec was really nice. I think I did a good job.

It seems like P4 is under way nicely, but that is just what I have heard through the grapevine. I really follow Jerry Bruckheimer on Twitter, and he posts a lot of P4 scenery, so it looks beautiful.

Anyway, I do have more news to tell you though! This is a lot more exciting. Outside of work, this week has been really an emotional rollercoaster. I am so tried as I write this because I have had very little sleep.


Okay, so I will back up a few days to last week. I don’t think I mentioned, but while covering on of the desks I met the Unit Production Manager (UPM) for one of our upcoming shows, and he asked me all sorts of questions: where I’m from, what I’m doing, how long I’ve been here, etc… I didn’t think anything of it, and I have seen him every single day since then. However, on Wednesday, he called me and asked me to meet with him. He asked if I would be interested in interviewing for an assistant postion that would start next week for the line producer of the film. Of course I said yes!!

The interview happened yesterday, Thursday, and it went really, really well. It was more of a conversation than interview. The man was so happy, bubbly, and just really interesting. He has been in this industry for more than 25 years. I felt like I had a HUGE chance.

Then I found out that the girl I temped for interviewed for the same position, and it was down to me and her. I was so nervous that I would get I would get it based on availability, but she has the experience. I would feel terrible if I took it from her, but also happy for me. It was a emotionally torn situation. We were told they would choose that night, but did not. Basically, I could not sleep at all last night because I really wanted to position. It is a great opportunity and a way to make great contacts.

I came to work today, and waited for them to tell me the results…alllllll dayyyyy looooong. Finally right before the end of the day, the UPM talked to me and told me they went with the other girl, but he wanted to tell me in person. Since then, it has all worked out. I was really bummed for myself, because it is just another rejection on top of a really hard year. But also, I was really happy for the girl because she has been waiting for two years to move on, and she has the proper experience.

I was honored just to be considered. If I had not been temping last week, this would not have happened, none of these contacts, any of it. I am just really proud of myself because I feel like I am making headway, slowly but surely…

But that is not it! Because her job starts on Monday, they need to fill her spot. So guess who takes it? Me!! That’s right, I will now be perm temping until they fill the position. I was told that can be a month or up to a year. So I have no idea when I will not be working, but I am! It is not a hire, but I am definitely here to stay for a while. Basically, I am doing the same thing I did with Marketing but for Production, in the department I want to be in. How much more can I ask? I am doing it! So, Disney, I am here, like it or not. One thing I ask, can you hire me?

Haha, seriously. I am really proud of myself. Who knew that in 2.5 months I would be in Production? I know I want to be in more of the creative end of it, but this is a great starting place. If I have this for up to a year, then I won’t need to be hired for that position, I can move up and on. So, as for now, I am the permanent Temp Staff Assistant for Walt Disney Pictures Motion Pictures Physical Production. Yea? Yea!

I look forward to what has to come, the adjustment to a whole new department, and the involvement on the upcoming films and projects as we enter a new regime of leadership within the company. Things can only move up. Plus, I don’t have to intern anymore, or at least for a while! Extra Bonus!

Plus (what more can there be right?), one of my best friends from high school has decided to visit LA for a few days. So I am going to pick her up in a few, and then drive to OC tonight. Big day tomorrow…even though it is the weekend…I don’t stop.

End of rollercoaster ride…for now. I think I am a bit dizzy.

No comments:

Post a Comment