Saturday, June 19, 2010

I don’t think I am NJ anymore…

(written for 6/5-6/6)

I had a huge volleyball weekend, and it felt great! I just love this sport.

Yesterday, Saturday, I volunteered for the AVP (Pro Volleyball League) at their tournament in Huntington Beach. I was so set and ready to see the top players play and have the best seats to do so.

Call was at 8:00am, and I was a ball shagger and scorekeeper. For those of you who do not know the term “ball shagger”, get your minds out of the gutter and understand that is the term to describe the person who retrieves the ball after each play.

I felt I was in the right place at the right time with the volleyball nets everywhere with a huge 20 foot inflatable volleyball.

I had a reality check in the morning because I could not have been anywhere else but California. I mean, next to the 50 vball courts, there was a surfing competition going on with a rock concert setting up on the pier behind me, with palm trees everywhere and girls in bikini or maxi dresses. Just when I thought it couldn’t get anymore Californian, I see a sufrer with dreads and half a surfer suit walk up to his VW green bus. I am no longer in NJ that is for sure!

For that, I felt like I bit of an outsider, especially next to the beautiful tan girls with Sunkist highlighted hair with the trophy boys where life seems so easy. I have never known that crowd, and always wanted to spend a day in that life.

Back to Volleyball. I watched about 10 volleyball games, but only worked one. It was a sudden death tournament since it was the 3 of 4 days now, but the game I scorekept for was amazing. Tall, athletic, beautiful men that I could watch for hours. Some were completely egocentric, but others were really nice and kind. The players would sign shirts for kids that came up to them after the games, and the players would hug and take pictures with the volunteers and refs. It was great sportsmanship everywhere.

One of my former floor mates freshman year at BU now works for the AVP and writes on all their matches for the website. I stayed with him most of the day and watched the top teams play. Wow they are good. The women especially are built, and have so much talent; I’m envious. I think one of the highlights for me was watching Misty May play, of the 2008 Gold Medal Olympic team. The Olympic men were there too.

I just wish the weather was better. We have reached this period of “June Gloom.” I have never heard the term, but it applies to LA most definitely. It means that the beaches, although it’s June, are pretty chilly and not nice. It was about 62 degrees and very windy. I was expecting 90, sunny, and hot. I was so cold, I had to by a 40 dollar jacket to warm up.

Even when I played today on the beach with the rec league I have joined, the weather has been unpleasant. I like the clouds so I can see the ball, but I want it to be warm! And the funny thing is, when I return to the Valley, it is hotter by a good 20 degrees with the sun shining. You would never know the beach was gloomy. Oh well.

This was a Pro-Volleyball weekend. I played a total of 3 hours, and watched a total of 10. Not bad. I love this sport, and this will remain in my life for as long as I can help it. Now, to get back in shape…that is the next goal. J

I am Pro-Volleyball. Are you?

No comments:

Post a Comment