Saturday, June 26, 2010

Temping for a Temp

(written on 6/18)

I am going home tomorrow, which means it is the end of another week. I do not mean to have a gap between these entries, but honestly, the offices have not been that busy as I learn more about the floor each day. The production offices are in this transition of time because there are not many projects coming out and the “New Regime” has not said “yes” or greenlit anything as of yet.

However this week was a bit ridiculous for the fact that I am not going to be here at all next week. I am going home to NJ for the week to see my family for various events. This is where the lines and rules of being a temp are a bit hazy. Because I am a temp, does that mean I can take time off whenever I really need, or because I am working, I need to make sure I am there all the time and not ask for time off? It is not like I have vacation days. I am not sure, but at least I am going home! I am so excited I can barely contain it!

So this week… well, tonight was the longest night I had to work since I started. I was given the lovely task putting together a party for the floor for Monday, and it was Thursday. That was not the proper amount of time I thought I would need. Not only that, but I was given very few instructions about what was needed. I thought this would be a great opportunity since I have a passion for throwing themed parties and events.

Anyway, this afternoon, I had to pretty much put everything together. I left work to go to Target and get all of the various drinks, plates, silverware, decorations, etc. Then I ordered food from a local Mexican restaurant for Monday, and made sure I was able to get a catering service come in and give ice, serve, and rent receptacles. I have no idea what the budget was, but I tried my best to make it manageable. By the end of the day, I was sweating as I carried everything by myself and set it up as well. I just hope it comes together on time. Too bad I will not be there to celebrate it.

So aside from that mini adventure, I typed the instructions for my replacement temp, so he would know just how the office operates. It was the first time I was now the one needing replacing. It felt great! I gave him all the instructions of how the floor worked and his responsibilities. I showed myself just how much I have come within the last 2 weeks, and I am quite proud. I am adjusting fine and okay. I am proud. Of course I still have my insecurities about the future and what I want to do, but I will go home, leave LA behind and clear my head. It is amazing what a good week away will do.

I am so excited to see my family. I miss them so much. Not seeing them makes this move a lot harder, so I am thankful for the chance to go. I will let you know what happens. But for now, there is no place like home.

No comments:

Post a Comment