Saturday, June 26, 2010

Sister's Graduation

(written 6/22)

Congratulations, Casey! You are now a high school graduate. Not that I think you would not make it, but because this day has been a long time coming.

Today I returned to my old high school grounds to see my sister graduate from high school. I have always enjoyed returning to places from my past. It has been something we have done since childhood as we have visited past homes we used to live and schools we used to attend. It is not unusual for my family to appreciate reconnecting with the past. However, that really unnerves some. I am always to odd one because I get excited when I see people from my past and want to talk to them, apparently this is not the “in” thing to do.

I saw some former classmates that were unavoidable with this gradation. I saw about 7 former classmates of mine, and I wanted to say hi to all, but apparently, only 2 actually talked. So, why is it once we leave a place do we really disconnect with our past? Is it a personal issue with me? I’d like to think not. Perhaps we are reminded of uncomfortable times we happened to share with others, like middle school or high school, and we want to move on? Or could it be the fact we are not comfortable with talking in person with technology like Facebook to do the reuniting for us? Not sure. I think this is an interesting question to ask of our generation. Maybe a future post.

Anyway, the graduation ceremony started off really nice. The weather was perfect all day long, up until the clouds rolled in 30 minutes before names were called. As my sister walked up on the field, and seeing former classmates of mine around the area along with past teachers, I couldn’t help but think about my graduation.

It was 5 years ago to the day. 5 years have gone by, and wow, a lot has changed. I sometimes look back at my life and cannot believe half the things that have happened to me, and other times I feel like I am right back to where I started. Part of me cannot believe 5 years has passed, while the other part feels like more time has eclipsed. What really made me think I was back in high school was when we were forced inside (explanation to follow), we walked the halls of the locker coated walls and classrooms, and funny enough, one of the smartest kids in my class walked passed my and said, “Hi, Ashley.” It was if I was just thrown back in time even if for a moment., and I remembered how it felt to be there. Now here I am watching my sister do the same thing.

I had others ask me, “Can you believe it you sister is graduating?” I say, “No, of course not,” but in reality, of course I can! It has been a long time coming. Sometimes I have a hard time believing she is 18, but leaving high school, that is not hard to believe.

I remembered my graduation was a great, warm and sunny ceremony. However, about ½ way through the names, the skies opened up and the rain came down, not just lightly; it poured with a nice round of thunder and lightening. It was not until that moment I realized just how much I miss my summer thunderstorms!

The “diploma givers” were about 2 rows of names from finishing, so we had to finish the ceremony outside, but it was ridiculous! The poor graduates were soaked with no protection and most of the parents were darting into the school gym. Quite a moment to experience, I must admit. Of course, my sister naturally liked it, but what an epic ending! The good thing was, most of the Board of Ed had to skip their speeches due to weather, so only the student Valedictorian was heard, as it rightfully should have been. I know that was a moment she will never forget!

I am so proud of you, Sis! Now it is off to college, literally. I cannot believe you leave this Sunday! We will have a good last few days home. Promise. Love you!!

P.S. Happy Birthday, Daddy!

No comments:

Post a Comment