Monday, October 18, 2010

Normal vs. Extraordinary

(written on Tuesday 10/13/10)

Have you ever wondered what it would be like to have superpowers? Or to have influence like Oprah to accomplish things? Have you ever wanted a "super" job? I have to all of the above.

I have been thinking a lot this week about success as most people do, and it has occurred to me, I do not want to be normal or average. I want to excel in all that I apply myself too; I want to achieve. No, I am not seeking fame or celebrity, but I am seeking the ability to influence others on a large scale. I seek the opportunity to be important to my family, community, and others beyond our boundaries. I wish for an extraordinary career.

Now, this may seem a bit cocky, and I assure you it is not. I am just putting my confidence out there for I want to be heard. There is nothing wrong with being normal in this world. It's just I want to stand out. I want to go beyond what is expected of myself. Maybe I am an overambitious girl, but I feel like all this ambition has no outlet. It has been kept inside for years, and no way out since I have not had the opportunity to apply it elsewhere but my imagination.

The other day, I was walking in a really nice Hollywood house. I drive by them a lot as well. It gets me thinking... is this at all possible for me? Will I ever be that successful to live the way I have dreamed? Is it in the cards for me?

That is why I love meeting and learning about those who are. I love talking to executives for that reason. I want to learn their journey to success. If they can do it, how am I any different? Just because I want something so badly does not mean I will ever get it.

When people ask me what my dream career is, I think of people like Jerry Bruckheimer, Don Hahn, Julie Andrews, and more. I know I will not be the next Jerry Bruckheimer, but I want to strive for a sliver of the amount of success he has had. I do not just want to be content with my own bubble. I want to inspire others, to lead them, to make them believe that they are better than they think, that we all have untapped potential to go anywhere in life. I want inspiration to be my superpower (aside from being invisible or flying of course).

To me, I want to become a successful television executive that has an eye for talent and powerful messages in my programming. I want to start a new idea that family entertainment is the strongest form of entertainment around. I want to push for political and social issues I believe in. I hope to one day make a public speech at a college or university for women or other students. I mean, I ran for student council President every single year since sixth grade and never won. I want to lead.

I am so driven by my idea of helping others and being successful in my career, that I have even started a "Future Wall" in my room. I want to visualize my future. Yes, I have some superficial things on there like Ralph Lauren clothing and a castle to own in France, but it also has strong women leaders, public speeches, a large family in a nice home, and donation to a charity taped on my wall.

Maybe I will never get here, but I at least want to say I tried to get there. I dreamt it, and I went for it. In fact, I may never get there. That thought has crossed my mind, and it is a slight reservation, but I am determined to make a life for myself and others. I want a life to look back upon and be proud and say I have done a lot, seen a lot, and meant a lot to others. It is not A-list celebrity I seek, but the financial means to contribute to all of my passions, interests and issues at heart. I want an extraordinary career in hopes that one day an intern will want to ask me, "How did you make it?"

I wonder what my explanation will be?


No comments:

Post a Comment