Monday, October 18, 2010

Back Home...In Orlando

(written during 9/31-10/4)

Well, my trip home came and went, but I am now at home again... in Orlando. I am making a quick visit down since the airplanes were causing a layover on my return to LA through Orlando, so naturally, I am staying for the weekend instead. I am hoping to get a few hours to maintain my seasonal status. I need 40 for the year, and this weekend I have 16 scheduled, which is great. Funny enough though, I am only working the movie on the beach at the Grand Floridian for those hours, and not where I am statused at Blizzard. By doing this now, I will have an easier week when I come back down at the end of the month to finish my 40 hours.

Anyway, being back is great. My trip home in NJ went so fast! I could not believe that was two weeks already. I am happy I solved my back issue and that I have a great outlook at getting better. I miss NJ, but I know Fall is coming and so is the colder weather. Unlike NJ, Florida is still the same warm temperature. How I missed the humidity! haha, Jk...sorta.

I am back in the same apartment where I lived last year this time, and it is weird. It feels like my room. It is my room, but with different decorations, so does that still make it my room? It feels like home, and yet, I feel a bit distanced from it. Perhaps because I know it won't go back to that, but aside from NJ, this is the only place I have finally felt settled in years.

I have come to realize this trip home, that I am definitely an East Coast girl as I said in a previous post. I look forward to the day I return to the East, but not for the cold. I like the pace of life: fast, organized, cultured and structured. I miss the weather: 4 seasons, great storms, and sometimes...the humidity. I do not like the extreme temperatures like the Northeast has, but I enjoy the more mild seasons from North Carolina down to Florida.

Orlando may not have all the seasons, but it does get cold. There is a summer and a winter. and it has the personal space one cannot find in a big city. I like the people here, too. Yes, you need to know spanish and you don't need to be as well educated, but the demeanor in general is a lot happier. I feel young in Orlando, and I can do whatever it is I want. I feel the most free here. I love the lifestyle. I can go downtown into the city or stay in the private area outside the parks where I am now. I just cannot stand the bugs or the flatness of the land (FLat FLorida). But oh boy, do I not miss the bugs!

One thing about the East Coast I miss the most is the general concept of time. Californian's have no concept of time management. East Coasters live by the minute where everyday is planned. For someone super organized, I respond to this really well.

Okay going on a tangent.... bring it back here. I am in Orlando just for the weekend, and it feels good to be back. Just by sitting here on the couch, I already feel settled or have that feeling of "home" that I have not yet felt in LA. Los Angeles still feels like an extended visit. Even though I have been there 6 months now, I have not gotten that "I belong here" feeling, and yet I have been out west longer than I lived in Orlando last year. Scary.

But, I will not even think about LA until I am back West. Until then...I am just enjoying my time back East. Back home.




No comments:

Post a Comment