Friday, April 30, 2010

Weekend of Figuring it Out

(written for weekend 4/9-4/11)

This was my first true weekend in LA, since I moved out here. It was great. I tried some new activities that I normally would not do.

First, I went to a Michael Buble concert on Friday night. I was on the fence about it because of the expensive ticket price, but I went after some convincing. I went with a former co-intern. It was great to see her again. The concert was good, not sure if it was worth the 100 bucks, but glad I went.

My friend then drove me around the actual downtown city of LA. There is absolutely no night life there. It is all corporate banks, but becomes a ghost town after hours. You would think the "downtown" section would have life, but not here.

On Saturday, I literally just worked on my computer for hours updating contacts, researching, and procrastinating too. I wanted a good day off. I spent it in my room, but then I thought about it, and where else would I go? What to do on a Saturday? I plan on doing more next weekend.

Saturday night, I met up with a friend of mine and we drove around to Pasadena. That is a really nice suburb outside of LA. We caught up with two others and had dinner in Hollywood at a local cafe area. Food was great. These are the people I interned with last year, so it was great to see them again. After dinner, we went to our favorite tradition after class, and went to Millions of Milkshakes. Now there is a great store!

Then after that, we were invited to a house party somewhere a few blocks over. I knew I was in LA because the party had a castle float in the backyard! Wow, they are crazy. About 50 drunk people running into an inflatable castle was quite the scene.

Then on Sunday, I tried going to a local Presbyterian Church, but I did not like it at all. There was no life, no youth. It smelt old, and was full of people I could not relate too. I just wanted to get out of there so quickly. The message too, was not to my liking, so I will not be going back. But hey, I tried right?

After church I drove to the Rose Bowl trying to find the guys I know play ultimate Frisbee. I was expecting no one to be there. To my astonishment, there was a giant flea market with thousands of people! I was just trying to find random guys playing Frisbee, not trying to get lost in the crowds. I eventually found them, but I was so lost!

The Frisbee game consisted of about 20 random assortment of guys from middle age to college. Most were nice, but when they consisted I play with them, I could not say no. I knew I would get some exercise too.

It has been so hard to exercise since I have been here. I commuted every day for almost 4 hours, so no exercise. I work at a desk, no exercise. I don't know the streets well enough to run at night after work, so no exercise. There is a gym at work, but there is a waiting list, and I am technically not hired full time, so no exercise. It just doesn't happen. I miss my vball team for that reason. So how could I not take advantage of this?

It was great fun. I was a bit off, but the guys were impressed. I body checked one of them by accident. eek.

After the game we went to eat at Oinkers, a slow fast-food place. They had a great Pastrami sandwich. Then at night, we went to see Date Night with Tina Fey and Steve Carell.

Overall, it was a great and busy weekend. I hung out with the same 3 people the whole time, but hey, I need them. Here is to a good and busy first weekend in LA. Let's see how this upcoming week goes!

No comments:

Post a Comment