Thursday, April 29, 2010

Finding a Place to Live

(Written for the week of 3/29-4/2)

I previously bogged about how each week, I have a different goal in mind to adjust myself slowly to my new environment. Last week, my first week, I was to get acquainted with work. This week, my goal is to still adjust to work, but also find a place to live. Now that I have my car, I am free to go looking, however, I am trying to keep my options limited. The last thing I want is to have too many options that I overwhelm myself, so I have allowed myself three options.

The first, is with my high school classmate and friend. She lives inthe more hippy and independent music scene of LA. I am not that person, but it would make it an interesting place to live.

The second, is a woman is a Disney executive. What a great chance to network. She lives in this great upscale condo in a nicer suburb, a nicer suburb of LA where most people want to end up. It is next to Burbank in the Valley, and only 2 miles from work. However, she wants more of a private lifestyle, and I am not sure that is me either. It is more expensive than I want and includes no furniture, but I can make it work if I have too.

The third option that I met with this week is with someone I met through the Hub (Disney Employee Website). She, too, a Disney cast member, is about 2.5 miles from work in a nice neighborhood off of some busy streets. Although it is quiet, I have my own room with furniture already in it. The girl seems nice and social, and she comes with a cat.

Based on my three options, I choose #3. I felt awful leaving my high school friend who needed someone, but I just felt a lot more comfortable with this place. It is cozy, safe, pleasantly quaint and we get along personality wise. I am central to all highways, not far from Hollywood, and 10 minutes from the Burbank airport.

I negotiated only a three month lease, because I have no idea what is going to happen come June. So as of now, I have a place to live! I cannot paint or decorate the room, since I may only be there a short time. It comes with a day bed and trundle bed, cable tv in the room, a computer desk, a night stand, and a large closet. The condo itself has washer and dryer in unit, two bedrooms, 1.5 bath, a patio, two stories, and utilities are included. I pay a fair rent for the room, furniture, gas, electricity, water, cable, internet, and a cleaning lady who comes twice a month. Not bad. I am really lucky. Although I would normally be stressed with the rent that high, it is normal for LA, and I am actually making some money, so I will be alright.

So there you have it... I found a place to live for the next three months. Temporary, but something. I won't move in until after Easter, so I will let you know how it goes. Just another step in the right direction, slowly but surely. Adjustment #2, accomplished.

No comments:

Post a Comment