Friday, April 30, 2010

A New Place, A New Phase

I consider myself to now be in the "second phase" of adjusting to LA life. My first phase was "initiation". It lasted two weeks. I stayed with my aunt and uncle, waited for my car, apt shopped, and had my first real earthquake. Initiation ended the day after Easter because... I moved into my new Temporary apartment!

I am now living in a new apt, which is in a more urban area, but it has no tall buildings. LA is weird like that. There are no buildings taller than the streets are wide.

I am not sure what to call this new phase, other than temporary. I have agreed to sign the three month lease on this apartment until end of June, in case I do not have a job by then. The apartment is great. Cozy and country feeling.

I am not sure what is going to happen come June, but I am trying to look into maybe moving to a house with others. Just a thought at the moment. I like my current room, but I still look forward to calling a room my own. Subletting just does not give you that chance.

My first night in the new room was alright. The floor creeks like no other! The paintings on the wall freak me out a bit, and I have tree branches swaying outside my window, which creates interesting shadows in the room. Sleeping in a bed other than your own is always a different experience. You may sleep well, but you just don't feel rejuvenated as if you were home. This will take some getting used too.

As this week has moved on, I have come to realize just how isolated I can feel sometimes. My day consists of working, and then back to the apt. I should be living an LA lifestyle, but I don't know many people to go out with. My social life is not there. My roommate does her own thing, so my nights are just me and the tv or computer in my room. It's not bad, but it is just lonely.

I noticed that I felt this way a lot at home in Jersey. It just seems I am never socially okay. I don't like the isolation, and feeling away from everyone else, but life has me here. I miss being able to drive 5 blocks to grandma's house, or 5 miles to a friend's. The time difference is making it hard to call people after work. By the time I get home and had dinner, it is now 11pm or later back on the East coast. The only time I have to talk is usually during the lunch hour. Or when my best friends are off at work, I am at work. This time difference just feels like it is enhancing the isolation even more, and when isolation grows, so does the homesickness and loneliness.

I look forward to the day where I find a volleyball team or a league/club to be a part of. I look forward to the day where I have some friends, although they will never live up to my current friends, to have a social life. I do not want to sound depressed, because I am not. It is what it is. I chose this move, so I have to deal with being lonely for a while. If only I could combine my family in Jersey, friends and enviornment in FL and move them here to the weather and work in California, then I would be really happy. But that is a dream, and not realistic. I know this "isolation" phase is temporary, but so is the living situation.

It seems everything is temporary until June. Welcome to the three month "temporary" phase of figuring everything out. Let's see where life goes. Here is to my family and friends! I miss you all so much.

No comments:

Post a Comment