Thursday, April 29, 2010

Little Satisfaction

Written for Week of 3/29-4/2...


One of the greatest things happened to me this week. It was so small, and insignificant to others, but it is huge for me.

I have worked really hard to get to the studios. I have worked and networked just trying to get here. I did it through two different paths. The first one was with an internship at an advertising company in Boston, and they other was working at Walt Disney World. This week, these two paths came full circle for me. Let me explain.

First, as most of you know, I have been working at WDW for a long time. I worked mostly on the Backlot Tour at Disney's Hollywood Studios. If you are unfamiliar with it, the attraction is half water show and half train ride. I was a tour guide on both parts. If you have ever walked the backlot tour, it is obvious you have come across the movie posters, trailers, costumes and tram cards that promote our films throughout the attraction. I have always wondered where they all came from.

Well, I was assigned to working on the budget for my department, which covers some aspects of WDW, including where I used to work! I could not believe I was on the other side! Complete full circle. I was so satisfied, and excited. I explained that to my bosses, but they don't get it. I am so excited by this news, I wanted to know exactly what each item correlated too on the attracted. I now understand what I have been staring at for the last 3.5 years. Yes! Full circle!

That was a great moment, but this second moment of little satisfaction is even more sweet. My junior year at BU, I was interning with this advertising company in Boston. Although I was working for them, I was actually hired by Disney. Let's just say... I hated the experience. I hated everything about it. I was treated poorly, yet I worked so hard, I never got good reviews from my bitter bosses. Sometimes I wondered why didn't they just fire me if I was this awful?

I was only supposed to work for the Fall semester, but they did not fill the internship for the spring and asked me to stay on. I told them the only way I will stay is if they promise to get me in contact with the executives over at the Disney Studios, since that is where I wanted to end up. They agreed.

Just like the fall, the spring was not pleasant, in fact, it was worse. I dreaded going there, and I couldn't wait for the semester to end. Finally, May 1st came, and my moment of truth. I approached my boss to talk about my year, and asked her for my contact at the studios. Let's just say it did not go over well. She ripped my heart out saying "You were the worst employee we have ever had. You never did what we asked, you never accomplished what we needed. Why on Earth would we recommend you to the studios? I can, if you want, but I would never recommend you." I was crushed. I left with my head held high, and all I have ever wanted to do was prove them wrong.

Well, this week, I got my satisfaction. I was receiving packages from this advertising company all throughout the country just returning DVD/film to me. They all had my name on the packages.

Nothing special, but still neat to see my name. Well, I had about 5 packages come in at once, and I tore them open, threw them out, and moved to the next one, but one caught my eye. I looked at the package and it was from the company I used to work for. Not only that, but this package was from Boston, in my old boss' handwriting!! I couldn't believe it! What a gorgeous sight! I have no idea if she ever connected the dots as to who she was writing, but I felt so happy. it wasn't the package that satisfied, it was the meaning behind it.

I made it without her help. I still got here despite her put down. I proved her wrong against the odds. Tell me, what could feel more sweet? I saved the package and it is hanging in my cubicle. I will treasure that forever! Satisfaction guaranteed!

Finally, the last two things that happened this week for total satisfaction were: I got my first pay check from the studios, and my work email! I am now a studios cast member! With the email, I have waited years for that. All of my friends have moved on and gotten one. To some it is just an email adderss, but to me it is a symbol of initiation! And I am in! It is official, I am in, even if just for a short while. I am in.

That is the most satysifying of all.

Small steps... slowly but surely. Small steps, one at a time.

- car (check)
- work (check)
- apt (check)
- work email (check)
- work paycheck (check)
- move in with work Roommate ... up next

It feels good to be making money, working where I have always wanted to work. Life feels great at the moment, I am cherishing this high, just hope it lasts!

I love my job :)

No comments:

Post a Comment