Friday, April 30, 2010

The Right Candidate?

(written for the week 4/5-4/9/10)

I feel like I am finally getting the hang of work. I now know who works for who, and I know the important names. I understand how the copiers work, what time to get the mail out, and how to schedule mass meetings. I get it!

I feel like I am finally setting into what is expected of me at work. Assisting is not rocket science, it is just coordination and common sense. I feel confident and relaxed at work now. I just remain reserved about it. I am just afraid of being "too" out there that it looks unprofessional. That will come in time. I have 2.5 months to get there.

Working at the Studios has been great so far. I love my cubicle. Although it is dark without proper lighting, I am on a creative floor. I am next to the ad, poster and billboard creators, and then also adjacent to the trailer makers. I made a Pirates 4 chain of pictures hanging on my wall. I have everything organized. My favorite part is the telephone. It is a new digital and touch-dial phone, and it literally has a picture of the Castle with Tinkerbell flying around it! I love that!

Some days are busier than others, but nothing I cannot handle. Mondays are the worst. It seems that all of my work for meetings and things from last week go to the crap shoot on Mondays. I seem to get my entire week's worth of work, so by Friday, I am finally caught up.

My responsibilities have ranged from shipping packages to doing the scheduling. I answer calls, and sometimes I have about 200 emails a day. Crazy! The pace of work ranges. I do the normal office work, faxing, copying, creating packets, and working on the budget and invoices. It is like just like intern work but now I am actually paid.

Everyone that I have been in contact with via emails are really nice. I have made some good connections with those on the floor. I am starting to realize that Marketing is not what I want to do. I could do it for a year or two, but I am really craving to be near the action of the production. I walk by the stages at work everyday where Brothers and Sisters and Flash Forward are filmed, Stage 2 is where Mary Poppins took place. Just walking by them, I realize I just want to be in the action. That is for another entry.

Overall, I am really liking my work enviornment. I feel so happy walking on the lot and realizing that I made it here. I am just as deserving to be here as are the executives. I feel so happy walking by the historic parts of the lot, feeling like I am walking the halls of giants. Anybody can be someone important. Although I am not recognizing people outside or in the commissary yet, I know I will get there. Sometimes I feel like the whole world is at my feet, and someone needs to pinch me. Not a moment goes by, good and bad, where I am not grateful for this chance.

No comments:

Post a Comment