Monday, May 3, 2010

So Close, Yet So Far.... Networking Galore

(written from 4/14-4/16)

I have started the process of being mentally ready for my last day at work. The week has been rather fine, but it still upsets me knowing that I am leaving. I love my desk and the people on the floor and it doesn't seem real quite yet. I must say, that despite my future impending doom on Monday, I am still remaining dedicated to my work. I am still treating this as my job and I remain focused with the task at hand.

Speaking of task at hand, my last gloomy entry (sorry about my depression), I wrote about networking. This has become my sole goal in life right now. I am still here at the studios, and it is here I want to be. I am going to take the time I have left and work it to meet as many people as possible. I am not afraid to meet others and ask them about themselves, in fact, it is a great strength of mine. I know how to work contacts, the only problem is getting them.

Due to the short nature of my time left, I am trying to meet with as many people in production as possible. More specifically, my new goal in life is to get onto the production of Pirates 4. For those of you that don't know me, I am an obsessive Pirates fan. This movie franchise is one of my main inspirations as to why I chose to be in this industry. It upholds everything I believe in family entertainment: a great story, great characters, remerable moments that transcends all ages, great production value, and positive messages that reach out to everyone (such as a strong female protagonist, go after what you want and don't look back, live life on your own merit, etc...)

For the last few days and the next coming up, I have lunches with someone every single day in the production department. That is the only lead I have at the moment. It is not much, but it is something. I contacted a few others involved, reaching out to as many as I can, but nothing is grabbing.

Looking back at this, I feel like I am getting some momentum going. I feel like I am getting myself exposure to the execs that I need too. I feel SO CLOSE, yet so far from where I want to be. They start pre-production in one week, and start filming in June. I see the set decoration fabric on the walls of the floor the production is on. It gives me the chills seeing the sign above the fabric "Barbosa's lair"! Then as I walk further down the hallway, I see the actual location pictures hanging around! I must tell you, it is so hard not to squeal like a little girl when I see these! The locations are amazing. Huge trees with hug roots, gritty beaches. This will be a different feel than the former stories. I am so excited!!

Just seeing this makes me cringe even more, because I am sooooo close. I can almost taste it! I am walking with them, and seeing the people... but it is not enough to get hired. AHHH! I am on the floor I need to be visiting, talking to the people I need to talk too, but nothing is biting. If I had been involved from months before, maybe I could have had a place. I am not giving up though. I am going into this with all the energy and determination I can get. I just personally do not know the people who can pull strings for me. I pray to God that something will give.

Overall, I am so close, yet so far. It is almost torture. I need to just keep going. Push what I can... who knows where it will take me.

This week has been networking galore. I am proud of myself, but I won't slow down until something breaks. This is when I can say life is exciting, but also nerve-racking. I have extreme highs of emotion to real lows. It is funny how I am back to square one of not having a lead, but I keep challenging myself to stay busy. I am making headway though, I feel it. That is promising. Like Walt Disney says, "just keep moving forward."

(thought you disney fans would like that one.)

No comments:

Post a Comment