Monday, May 17, 2010

Finding My Niche?

So this weekend (5/15-5/16), I felt as if I may be finding LA to be a little bit more comfortable. Is it that I am slowly adjusting? Perhaps, but I would like to think of it as, I am closer to finding my niche.

First, Thursday and Friday afternoon, I went to the tapings of the new Disney XD show premiering in September, Pair of Kings, and Suite Life on Deck respectively. I must say, I really loved seeing these shows come together. I was just an audience member, but I got the tickets through a contact. It made me think more about pursuing a career in Television on an actual show/set. I watched the interaction of the actors and the crew between and during takes, and I felt the urge of "that's where I want to be." I want to be involved in a team environment with a specific role. The live action was great. I think I want to pursue live action over animation, but that does not mean I like animation any less.

The crews, although both really different for each show, both worked well together, and you can tell they love their jobs. Pair of Kings was actually really funny, and I think that will do well. I understand these shows are for kids, but adults were in the audience too, and all enjoyed it. That's what I want to be a part of, an industry that brings the family together, even if just for a moment. It unites us. Okay, sorry for the corniness, but I am happy to be finding a new direction for me.

What I want is tangible and definitely do able, but I just have to find out how. I want to make it a goal within the next two weeks to find a contact within these shows and meet with them. I would love to be a PA (prod. assistant) if they are hiring. I should take advantage of the fact it is pilot season in the industry, meaning they are assembling crew this summer to film the series, so they should be looking for new hires. I have been so focused on film at disney, I now need to brach out and fast. I hope something will come of that. I just love the fact I have found a possible new direction.

Then on both Saturday and Sunday, I played beach volleyball. I am trying hard to find a team/league to play on. I found some people who just like to play for the heck of it on Saturday afternoons. It is fun, but I am looking for something more. When I am there, I cannot deny how good it feels to be on the beach court again.

Sunday happened yesterday, and it was a lot better than Saturday. Despite gloomy beach weather this weekend, Santa Monica was still perfect. I found a team from an online site saying they were more competitive, which they were, but still filled with beginners. I thought because I am new to the Beach Vball world, I would not be that good, but from them, I was still one of their top players. I did play a 2v2 game, and that was the best! It was soooo hard because I was not used to it, and man is it a workout!! Now I see why those women are so buff! At the end of the afternoon, the better half of the players stayed and played and intense 4v4. It felt so good to finally get some great rallies and plays!

I cannot help but want to compete. Volleyball has never been a recreational activity for me, it has defined my identity as an athlete, and always been a serious competition. I played in high school and college to win. So to switch the competitive side off, it is not possible. Recreational league is hard to sit and take when I want to win and everyone else goofs off.

This makes me realize, I want to compete. I want to be in tournaments with a partner and strive to win. I can sign up for the CBVA, California Beach Volleyball Association, but I need a partner. I hope to find one soon. Any idea on how to get one? I'm open for suggestions. I will wait for my sister, but that will take 4 or 5 years. ugh. Come on, Casey!

So now I know I want to be an athlete again as a serious hobby, I see that I may be starting to find my niche. Even-though I have not found the people I want to be near, that will come once I dedicate myself to the activity. One of my favorite parts of yesterday was looking around the beach court, seeing the palm trees, good looking people all around on the courts, bike riding, and roller-skating. It was a very big, "pinch me" moment, because I was actually playing hard on my sport, outside, with people, in Santa Monica! Now, that is awesome! That could be my life, or is it already? I think I found one big aspect I love about living in LA.

With 2 show tapings, and 7 hours of volleyball later, I am feeling my guard coming down little by little, adjusting a tiny bit more each day, and finding what I really want to pursue with intent. I hope I find it, but I think I am slowly finding my niche.

No comments:

Post a Comment