Monday, May 17, 2010

Back to Interning

Hey Blog Readers!

Just wanted to say "Hi" and "Thank You" for reading! I am trying my best to keep you informed with everything that is happening out west. So here is my latest update.

I had an interview last week with a production company on the Disney lot for a possible internship. I was contacted from one of the assistants who got my information from a contact I met with 3 weeks ago. He needed a new intern for however long I want.

The interview went well, and funny enough, my contact saw me waiting in the hallway just before the meeting. It's funny how I keep seeing him throughout the lot, but that is a good thing I guess. Anyway, during the interview, I told the assistant I could intern as long as he understood I was temping, looking for a job, and would need a flexible schedule. He agreed to it, and I was offered the position.

I am not sure if interning is a step down, but I refuse to look at it this way. I am now interning for a top production company that has a first look deal with Disney. That means, if the company finds a great script to make into a movie/show, they are obligated to pitch it to Disney first. If Disney passes, then the company can go to any network or film producer they want. So this top "first-look" production company is small, but a well respected internship. Many people get hired just because they interned here and can handle anything.

Not sure when my days are yet, but I hope to do 2 days a week. The hours are 8-7pm, and it is unpaid. I do get a 10 dollar stipend for lunch, and 50 cents to each gallon spent on errands. This internship is mainly development, so I will be doing script coverage, package errands, lunch orders, typical intern work.

Today was really slow, but I am not complaining. Some days will be really stressful, and some won't. This office is just the LA branch as the headquarters are in New York. Funny enough, I applied for some jobs in the NYC office, who knew I would be in the LA one? Ironic.

It is so quiet and laid back here. Jeans and a T-shirt, kitchen stocked with food, in the middle of the lot. At least I get to stay on the lot! It is located in the Old Animation Building where Walt originally had his artists stationed when he bought this lot in the 1940s after the success of Snow White. For a brief history of the lot, click this link. There are a lot of legends that have walked these halls, including Walt and Roy themselves! It gets me so excited to think about it. The halls are carpeted with creaky floors; almost like a Northeastern Doctor's office. On the walls are old portraits, drawings, and framed pictures of the early part of the company, including its old animation of the Evil Queen. The animators have now moved across the street obviously, and this building now hosts various contractual production companies.

So there you have it. I am now interning once again (7 internships?! Really), but I think only good can come from it. Everyone seems nice, it keeps me on the lot, allows me to meet new contacts and keep a flexible schedule around the temping. So we will see where it goes. I think I will stay here till the end of the summer or until I get a job, whatever comes first (hopefully the job). Until then... I am back to interning! Anyone want me to pick up some coffee?

No comments:

Post a Comment