Monday, May 3, 2010

A Magical Reminder

(written on 4/17/10)

Today was the best day I have had in a really long time. I really needed to feel this connected to something, and it has done me wonders. Let me tell you.

Last night, one of my New Zealand friends and her family came to the US. I studied abroad in New Zealand Fall of 2008, and I met the native people, Maoris, and I fell in love with their culture. I am now considered a member of their family, or whanau (fan-owww), if I were to return. The thing in the NZ culture, is they really mean it when you are a part of the family. So event though my friend in about 20 years older than me, she wanted me to be with her and her family when they came to LA.

It was the first time 2 of the 6 that came ever stepped foot into America. They ranged in age from the Auntie around 63 years old to another age 25. The auntie told me the biggest thing she wanted to do was visit Disneyland, because it has been something she has dreamed about for almost 50 years, but was never able to get overseas. I spent the night with them on Friday night, and we left for Disneyland Resort (DLR) this morning. I did forget that Marois have no real sense of time, so we left 4 hours after I woke up, but we made it!

I new that I had to give them a day they could remember. The only hard part was, I have only been to DLR once before, so I was actually not familiar with it, but my Tour Guide self kicked in. I was able to get 3 of the 5 in for free with my Maingate pass, which started the day off well. Trusting my basic instincts I figured my way around the park, and I took them onto the Jungle Cruise first. That was a great starter!

You should have seen their faces. It was like age was transformed, and they were on another planet. I of course, forget this feeling, it was just another ride for me near the "backside of water."

I wanted to make sure they hit up all of the classic rides that they heard of their entire life. In short, we rode Jungle Cruise, Pirates, Haunted Mansion, Big Thunder Mountain, the Tea Cups, Cinderella's Carousel, and a few others. I had to remind myself often that this was their day, not mine. I could come back again and ride what i want to ride. It got a little frustrating, but like I said, this was their day, not mine.

They were in such heaven. The aunt constantly told me how much it means just to be here for her, and that she loves seeing the kids, the families and the colors. She really emphasized just how much this was the "Happiest Place on Earth." When I hear that, I have to realize just how much of an out-of-body experience this may be for them. It is something I obviously will never gain again, but it was good to see.

Later in the evening, we decided to do Splash Mountain. We waited an hour! I NEVER wait an hour for anything anymore. I have been so spoiled, but I had no way to skip the line. We finally passed the line and got in our logs. I made sure i was in the middle so I would not get splashed as badly. This ride has never been my favorite, and little did I know how much I would be reminded of that.

We made it through the first small drop, but I forgot just how much this family weighed. Maoris are big people, and I was one of 6! We got soaked from the first drop! I knew I was in trouble when my shoes were soaked through after the first drop. Finally the massive drop, we dropped, took the picture, screamed and KAABOOOM! The water was a freaking tidal wave! I have NEVER gotten that wet on this ride before, and unfortunately, the sun was dropping, so I knew I would never dry. I was screaming because I was so mad!!

We got off, and we all were soaked; I might have well jumped into a pool while I was at it, it would not have made a difference. They were so happy, and that was all that mattered to them.

We had dinner at the DLR version of Casey's Corner. The NZers wanted to try an American hot dog more than anything. Sure enough, they loved them and had a few more plus a few pretzels. It was good to see them enjoying my culture for once.

About an hour before the fireworks, I told the auntie there was one last ride she MUST go on. She was very relectant because it was on the other side of the park, but I insisted. We walked about 20 minutes just to get there. I took her to "It's a Small World" specifically at night, because it is the only ride I prefer over WDW's version. The wonderful lighting, sparkling decor, and theming, is perfect. I told her this was her ride.

We went through the 10 minute attraction, and the others were silent. They were in such awe, they just had nothing to say. When they came across the NZ doll, it meant the world to them. They started speaking in their language to it and took many pictures. Finally, at the end of the ride, there was a giant "postcard" that stated, "There is a bright future for tomorrow." Now normally, I would not think anything of it, but the auntie repeated that phrase until she got off the boat.

When she hopped off, she started crying. First silent tears, but then everyone started to notice and she couldn't keep it in. I did not know because I was walking a few steps ahead trying to rush to the fireworks. She called me, and stopped me. I noticed she was crying and I attended to her.

"Are you okay, auntie?" I asked. There were no words. She was so choked up, she could not talk. She just put her hand on her heart for a second, then moved her hand against my heart and held it there for a few seconds. I new what she was trying to say. She was so grateful for this experience, there were no words.

She later was able to talk, and she held my hand for the entire walk back to the fireworks. She would say just how happy she was, how her whole family came, how I made it happen, and how at peace she felt dispite the hardships at home. "What a magical day, just perfect." That will stick with me for a long time.

The fireworks were great after that. So was the souvenir shopping, and so was the waiting for the tram back to the car. The rest of the night didn't matter. It was that moment after Small World when I realized this is why I love working for the company I am a part of.

What other company in the world has the opportunity to reach out and affect so many in a massive way? Despite my hardships this week, emotions, and frustrations, I was reminded this tonight just how much bigger this whole experience is than myself. I am a part of something grater than myself, and it knows no international boundaries. I take my life for granted and how I can work at a theme park known as Disneyland or World. I forget what it is like to see it as a guest.

I just needed this reminder tonight about why I love Disney, and how important it is to others. What more can you ask for from a job? I may just be one piece of the puzzle, but I needed to be reminded of my potential impact on others.

It made me realize again, yes, I want to stay here. I want to work for Disney, family entertainment. By working in the office, you do not see the guest's reaction to the products. This is the main reason why. I feel like I made a small difference, I fulfilled some potential in making a connection.

Call me brainwashed, call me delusional, but you cannot deny the fact that this is important to me, and I am passionate about where I work. How else can you define happiness? I needed this moment to remind me of just how I am a part of something larger than myself, and I cannot be upset with one little bump in the road. What did Last Lecture Professor Randy Pausch say?

"The brick walls are not there to keep us out. The brick walls are there to give us a chance to show how badly we want something. Because the brick walls are there to stop the people who don’t want it badly enough." Randy Pausch, Last Lecture.

I see my current job dilemma as an obstacle. It is a brick wall for keeping those who do not want it badly enough out. I will penetrate these Studio's walls somehow. I just need a little faith, trust and Pixie Dust. After tonight, there is no other way to express how I felt than "flying high."

To my whanau, "Kia Ora. Haere rā whanau! Kei te mokemoke au ki a koe."

No comments:

Post a Comment