Saturday, March 20, 2010

The Next Chapter Begins

So Thursday 3/18, was a big day for me. I had meetings set up throughout the day, so I spent the entire day in LA. I had to make a meeting at 10:30am, which is a good time, but when the commute is 60 miles and on the worst highway for congested traffic in the nation, time is really against you. I left at 8:15am, after dropping my aunt off at work, and drove of highway 5. I had to take that from Laguna Beach to Burbank. I thought I had time, but traffic was obviously an obstacle. My aunt lent me her car for the day, which was great, but it was hard driving an unfamiliar car on unfamiliar roads with intense conditions. Anyway, I made it at 10:15am, and that wasn’t even bad traffic, just the tail end of rush hour.

My meeting went well. It was an informal interview or meeting with two contacts I met previously in April. I maintained contact with them every month since, and it looks like it has led to a job. Although it is not full time, it is a temporary position that will last through June. I will work Monday-Friday, 9-6, until then. I am so blessed because it is literally a dream come true! Not only do I have a way to survive for a few months in LA, I get a chance to save by making decent money, I get a job before I moved out there (I have known about this for almost a month), AND it is working for my dream company! I guess I can officially say it now:

Although it is temporary, I am the new employed Cast Member for Walt Disney Studios!!!

Ahhh! I have worked so hard to get a chance, and I got it. I got it all on my own. No one helped me, and I was told it wasn’t going to happen. I am so proud of myself. It felt great walking on the Disney lot with all the other executives that I have wanted to be and knowing that I belong there just as much as they do. I just hope it leads to more opportunities.

I feel very comfortable with this chance; I could not have asked for more. I guess the last 10 months since graduation may have paid off. Although I must remind you it is only through June, unless they get approval to go full time. We will see I guess. That is the biggest news of the day.

The rest of the day was wonderful. I drove around the city for a bit, and I didn’t realize just how much I have forgotten. I could not remember street names or directions. I just knew what they looked like visually, but not enough to know my way around. I was actually overwhelmed, because it scared me how out of place I felt. It was like returning home for the first time in months, and you cannot remember the exact locations of what you used to be familiar. I guess it will take time, and I have that.

After driving around (I was actually beyond lost for almost an hour), I went to meet up with an email contact I have had for three months. He runs a top make up and special effects studio. I walked in not knowing what to expect, but it was actually a pleasant trip. It made me realize just how different artistic and business people operate. These guys were artists. First, the office was a mess, pets were all throughout the building, and their “to do list” was written in their heads. They were so laid back, it amazes me they get things done. Their business seems to be run by “whatever happens happens” motto. Also, there were bloody horror masks and body parts all over the walls, along with posters of which they worked. My favorite touch was the Pirates posters, since he worked on the make up of those films, and of course, the Emmy.

He took me into the back of his studio where the artists were working on bullet wounds in clay and bulging intestines of puddy. Hundreds of heads were around and finished gruesome creatures. Crazy work though! I could not imagine making something like that. They are gifted.

Anyway, my conversation with my contact was pleasantly nice. He was open to my questions and explaining his way of life. He even said that if I were to ever get bored, just to come over to the studio. If I needed a friend, he offered himself as well as his staff as people to lean on. “We are family now,” he said. If I wanted to hang out after work and get a drink with them, I very easily could. His friendliness was not what I would expect from a veteran LAer. He even said that if I ever got lost, needed anything, had car trouble, whatever, to call him and let him know. He would look out for me. How much of that is true, I don’t know, but it was wonderful to be welcomed by a someone.

He also talked about opportunities to work with him this summer on some films he is working on developing. He may give me the chance to produce, meet the top producers he works with, etc. He even told me he would help me try to get on Pirates 4 (since he is working on the make up)!! I just hope he really follows through with his word. I will take it if it comes, I remain skeptical, but I hope for the best.

Then after meeting with him, I drove back to my old internship on the Universal lot. I met with those I worked with before to see how they were doing. I was so surprised on how happy people were to see me. I had dinner planned with my friend who is an executive assistant now, but I had to wait 1.5 hours for her to finish work. So I just talked to everyone. I was welcomed back by them all, even the ones I had a hard time working for.

I felt so much support from them it was amazing. They all asked me what my current situation was, and I said job hunting but working temporarily. They offered all of their resources to help me out because I was a stand out intern and one of the best. They even went as far to say that the first available position that comes up, I will be the first hired. I don’t know if that is true, but just the notion that they said that was amazing. I was also involved in some confidential discussions, and all I can say is “wow” to many of their projects. I guess working for one of the top TV Production companies in America has its perks.

It made me realize, I am so glad and happy I never burned any bridges. Ever. Even to those I did not like, I just put up with the work last year, and now, I have their full support. I know have contacts I didn’t know I had. This makes me really excited for the future.

The dinner I had with my friend was really nice. I learned just how hectic her life became, but enjoyed every moment. We ate up at Universal City walk in the Panda Garden, I think, it was Chinese. I didn’t finish eating till 9:15pm!

It was a full day. I left straight after that to Orange County. What took me 2 hours that morning, took less than an hour at night. I am just grateful I made it back.

Overall, this day was overwhelming with support and kindness. I landed a job (temporary) to start on Monday for my dream company, met with new contacts, saw LA, met with old contacts, and caught up with friends. What more could I ask for? What a great way to come back to LA.

I just feel like I can actually get somewhere now. At least I have the time too, and a gig that will buy me some time to survive. I just hope I make my parents proud. In fact I texted my mom telling her she would be proud of me today. I did everything on my own: endured the worst commute, get around unfamiliar areas, meet with people I pursued to network with, and landed a job with no one’s help but my own. To my happiness my mom responded, “I am very proud of U! U r well on ur way!” I guess that is true, it is my way, and I guess this is what true independence is beginning to feel like. It is good to have it back.

I have no idea how long I will stay in LA, but that is not to worry about now. It may not be my ideal living situation (like Orlando), but it has the opportunities I need at the moment. It is in God’s hands, and it seems my prayers and dreams are beginning to come true. What a good feeling.

Now I may be over exaggerating, but I haven’t felt this positive about something in a loooong time, so I will take in the moment. Well done, Ashley! 10 months of waiting post grad are over, and now, as my friend said perfectly, “The next chapter begins…”

I am worried about the commute on Monday, because I may have to leave at 6am to get there by 9am. I am exploring the idea of taking the train, but LA’s train system is not well developed. For that, I miss NYC. However, it may be the least stressful method until I get my car out here, and move into my own apartment, but it would take up the same amount of time. We will see. That is for another discussion.

It just seems like things are starting to fall into place a little bit. I praise God for that. What a wonderful start. For the first time, I realized it was like my mom’s other text, “Today is the first day of the rest of your life.” To that, here it goes… “The Next Chapter Begins…”

No comments:

Post a Comment