Friday, March 19, 2010

The Move Out West

Hey Everyone! Sorry it has been such a long time. I meant to stay on top of the blog, but I just slacked off I guess. Not that I haven't been bored, I just have had a lot to finish up on the last few days. So here is the official update...

I left off with a week left. Although I have a few other entries I have not published yet, I was busy writing those. On top of that, I had a great last week home. On Wednesday, I saw an awesome musical at the New Brunswick theater called "Calvin Berger". It is a modern twist on Cyrano DeBergerac, but it was hilarious!! I laughed so much. I hope that play goes further. Only 4 people in the cast, but great characters, music, and set. I recommend it.

Then Thursday, I went to see Alice and Wonderland with some close family friends of mine, and went out to a really nice dinner. I also talked to one of my best friends for an hour and a half, and that was wayyy needed. Let's see, that takes us to Friday. I wanted to go to the MOMA to see Tim Burton's exhibit, but it was nasty out, so I didn't. That was my last chance to get to NYC before I left. I did meet up with a high school classmate at Starbucks to catch up. It is good to know there are other "go getters" like me around.

Saturday, I drove to South Jersey during the worst rain storm ever to see my good friend who recently got married. I spent the day with her, and it was really great. I left at 5pm for what should have been less than a 2hr drive, but it lasted 4 hours. I was late to babysitting! When I arrived there, the rain was so much the river next store flooded all neighboring houses, including my own. When I returned home, my brothers were home from college, but we all had to clean the basement due to massive flooding. See my other blog for details. http://ashleyread.tumblr.com/post/455881816/the-great-flood

Then Sunday, I packed, and Monday I said my goodbyes. I will miss my family and grandmother tons, but I am also excited to get started on a new chapter of my life.

This brings me to the move out west. I left Jersey Tuesday March 16th, at 10am. I flew from Newark to Phoenix. I remember seeing, as we took off, the Statue of Liberty. I felt how symbolic it was. That was the symbol to millions of people of the start of a new life, and it was the last thing I saw of the east coast. The flight was alright, long, but okay. I saw everything from the dark colors of winter to the beautiful desert farmland and mountains of Arizona. I forget how beautiful our country is sometimes.

From Phoenix, I flew to Santa Ana, California where my aunt picked me up. I left with 40 degree weather, and I landed in 85. What an immediate change. As soon as I got to their house, we unpacked and went straight to my cousin's lacrosse game. At night, we had dinner and watched American Idol. Pretty simple. I was really tired at the end though. I went to bed around 11pm. Soo early, but then it was 2am eastern.

So Wednesday, was my first real day on the west coast. It was about 80 degress, sunny and beautiful. I slept in, to what felt like noon, but it was only 9:15am! so the day seemed to creep by because of that. I went to eat at In and Out burger with my cousin for lunch. Nothing says "welcome to CA" then eating lunch at that fast food chain of amazingness. My aunt took me to Laguna Beach since I have never been. The Pacific was literally 4 miles from her house. It was so gorgeous! We walked around the quaint beach town and shopped for a few minutes. Then we went to the beach where I saw men playing volleyball! It was awesome. I felt like I was in another dimension because I saw volleyball, men, sun, water, flip flops and car convertibles with the tops down. I have officially arrived. :D I laugh because I actually got burned for the hour I was outside. Of course!

At night, we had a homemade family dinner, and then watched American Idol and baked cookies. I was in bed by 11pm. So early!!

That summarizes my first 24 hours out west. Not too exciting, but a step forward. One step at a time. I thank God for my chance to come out here. I texted my mom at night, and she said it perfectly. I haven't thought of it this way, but she said, "Today is the first day of the rest of your life." I guess that is right, I just needed a chance to breakaway.

No comments:

Post a Comment