Friday, October 14, 2011

Sister, Sister


I have been doing a lot of thinking about my sister and our relationship for the last few weeks.  I attended a group meeting a few weeks ago where about 30 women talked about their relationship with their sisters were exploring the idea of sisters and what it meant to be one.  This really got me thinking as I listened to the other women's stories about their sister(s), and opened my eyes to just how similar sisters are, and just how much mine meant to me. 

This is not meant to be a mushy, gushy entry, but just one of appreciation.  My sister and I have a great relationship, and out relationship has become one of the most sacred relationships of my life.  I have never really had the opportunity to really think about it and examine it with other people, and it was a really great eye opener.  At the end of the meeting, I was so inspired by everyone's stories, I typed over 5 pages of notes regarding the universal points of a sister relationship and how it pertained to mine.  I figured I would share some of my points with you.

I figured there were 2 sides to a sister relationship: the way you support each other and the way you irritate each other.  I am the oldest of 4 kids, but I have only one sister.  She is almost 5 years younger than me.  So based on my experiences growing up with her, I figured these were our major dynamics to our relationship.

Support:
*  Our Own Clique:  We are our own group within the family dynamic and we share secrets/thoughts.
*  Momma Bear Protection:  If it was needed, I would protect her from anyone that came to harm her.
*  I Know Her True Self:  you both truly know each other inside and out.  I know exactly how my sister will react to certain situations before they happen.  I know what her pet peeves are, and how to read her without a word being said. 
*  I Can Get Through To Her:  Since I know how she behaves, I also know how to talk to her.   Sometimes we are faced with an honest truth we don’t want to hear, but someone needs to say it.   
*  Enjoying Company/Shared Interests
*  It is almost like we are each other’s battery life- we keep each other going and when down, the other picks us back up.
*  Constant Admiration and Motivation
*  She is Always There:  Through thick and thin, I know in the end that my sister will be there for me.


Issues:
*  Different Personalities: we may have the same parents, but we are not the same person
*  Sweat the Small Stuff:  small quirks often irritate you for no reason because you are so close to her.
*  Age Difference Matters:  sometimes it was hard to relate to her as I grew up or even talk to her because she was not going through things I was.  What does a 14 year old have in common with a 9 year old?
*  Attention Stealer:  the youngest child usually gets more attention growing up, just plain and simple.
*  Freedom:  the oldest is usually more over protected and the youngest gets away with a lot.


There were a few other points, but I didn't feel like sharing them in this format.  I think you get the idea though.  There are issues in every relationship, but for sisters, no matter how sour the relationship becomes, it can always be redeemed.  No hope is ever completely lost.

Overall, my sister relationship is amazing.  Even today, we have been texting back and forwards as she is traveling with her team to the airport to play a volleyball game against Syracuse.

I guess it is also fitting to publish this today because it is her 20th birthday today.  She is no longer a teenager, and so now, all 4 of us are in our 20s!  Her birthday is actually the exact two-month mark from my birthday, so I know the year is coming to an end quickly.  Wow, we sound so old!!  I remember just ten years ago believing there would never be a day Casey could understand me, but look at is now.  I really love my sister, and I wish her all the success and happiness in the world.  

Happy Birthday Casey!!  I wish you all the best and a Happy Birthday!  I cannot wait to see you in just about 2 months time for the holidays!!  Miss you and love you!!

- Your big sis!

No comments:

Post a Comment