Tuesday, October 4, 2011

My trip Home - Working in NYC

Alright, so I am going to make this post about my trip home three months ago in July. I haven't written about it since I was hired, and I have been meaning too. I really just wanted to write about my experiences working in NYC and seeing other productions.

I went home my last week in July to work on The Voice for the NYC auditions. The audition process was two days long, and it was a great one at that. Despite having a crew call time at 6am, I was upbeat and ready to work. Over the course of the two days, it was record breaking temperatures of over 107 degrees! Luckily, I was inside, but there were still some 16,000 people that showed up just for the chance to audition. On my first day, I was in the right place at the right time, where I actually got to see the auditions in the audition rooms, and that was a great experience to witness. Some singers were better than others, and some were amazing, while others were God-awful. I thought some who should of made it through didn't, and some that I didn't did. I guess I wasn't sure what the casting producers were looking for. Overall, working on The Voice was a great experience. The show was so well run; it was by far the most organized live production I have been involved with. I worked 10 hour days with not a minute of over time. They knew what they were doing. Hopefully one of the NYC singers will make it to the finals!

The other experience I had while I was home was meeting a producer on the set of Good Morning America. I have always dreamed about working for a show like this or the TODAY show because of how it seems to combine a lot of television that I love: live taping, some audience, news and entertainment stories, close to home, city life, and production. I was really excited to see the behind-the-scenes of the show, and it was definitely eye-opening. I was a part of the audience in the live outside segment in the middle of Times Square. I watched the judges of Project Runway speak and then stayed for a special appearance of David Beckham. Of course the set went chaotic when he arrived, so I quickly left the scene. I stayed for some time after the show and talked to a producer, walked on the live set, and saw the green rooms. Their world is definitely not as glamourous as I thought. Very little space for a big production. The set is also used for Dick Clark's New Year's Eve service, which I didn't know.


Anyway, my three days in the city was so needed, and it got me thinking a lot about working in the city. I miss home sooo much, and I can totally see myself working for somewhere like 30 Rock, but I have no idea if it will happen. After seeing GMA, I realized just how different their hours are. For producers, you usually work 11pm-noon, and that would really just play with my schedule. I am not a morning person as it is, but I don't think I could do those hours and expect to have a normal life. I miss NYC but I forget how quickly and overwhelming it becomes. Maybe someday, but for now, it was a good taste to see how entertainment productions work back at home.

Aside from that, my trip home was great and busy. I felt I could have stayed home a few more days, especially knowing that I wouldn't be returning until the holidays most likely. Just recently, as in last week, my mom told me that she is flying out here to visit me for a week the first week of November!! I am so excited you have no idea. Her coming out her to visit me is huge, and it will be a taste of home that will last me until Christmas. I will not be able to go home for Thanksgiving because of timing, no vacation days, and price. So I knew July was the last time for a while.

Anyway, I miss home, but what else is new. Home is where my family is, and they are 3000 miles a way. On days I need a hug, I wish I could just run home and get one, but that is not possible. I need to stay strong, especially as we enter my favorite time of year. I just hope that getting my career started out here will be worth it all in the end, because it is hard to be out here away from them. Thanks for making my trip home worth it guys! Love you all.



No comments:

Post a Comment