Sunday, January 31, 2010

Quick Trip to Orlando

So this will be rather short, but I have had an intersting and exciting past few days. First, Wednesday night was Obama's first State of the Union Address; I will make my comments on that tomorrow. Second, Thursday was a bizzare day.

My Thursday's summary: woke up to snow, fed 200 hungry/homeless, confirmed an interview, then at 4.15 I bought a 6.25pm flight to Orlando! So in less than 2 hours, I had to pack for a week, prepare for my interview, get to the airport, and leave. Phew! I made it.

It is all a blur now, but somehow i landed here. I am in Orlando, sitting in my old room. It is a bit surreal. It feels good to be back, but at the same time, I feel distant from it. I have some business to attend to on tomorrow (Monday), so let's hope it goes well.

This weekend was great. I made it to Orlando on Thursday, and Friday we left for a three day road trip. Me and three others drove from Orlando to Jeckyll Island, GA. There was not much in Jeckyll Island. It was a rocky barrier beach, a state park, and home to three restaurants that closed at 9pm. We enjoyed an afternoon photo shoot on the beach with some local music and good cuisine for dinner. Our hotel was, interesting. A bit small for 4 people, especially since my feet hung off the end of the bed.


Saturday morning, we left Jeckyll Island for Savannah, where we met Kyle, my brother. He became our own personal tour guide. He showed us South African lunch, a personal tour around the city, a look into his artistic world, and some humor despite the nasty weather. This is where I learned of Paula Dean. Her restuarant for all Food Network junkies is there. My party could not have been more estatic. Thank you Kyle for the wonderful afternoon. I miss you!!


Sat afternoon through Sunday afternoon, we drove to St. Augustine, the oldest town in the US. It’s history was definitely the main attraction. Once again, awful weather, but we had fun. We went shopping, tried gator tails, loved Holiday Inn, and saw our own version of the Fountain of Youth.


We got back to Orlando around 6pm tonight. Overall it was a fun trip. Glad I did it. Learned a lot. Good company. Yay for a weekend out of the north; nice break. I was also glad to get away from the computer too.

No comments:

Post a Comment