Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Day with Grandma


Today was just a normal day in the average life at home for me.  The only thing that made it truly spectacular was I spent all day with my grandmother.  

For those of you who do not know my family, my grandmother is the most important influence I have in my life.  I have been blessed to know both of them very well, especially to have one living just down the street (maybe actually 6 blocks).  Having my mom's mom so close to us has its advantages.  I get to see her whenever I want.  Due to this closeness, she and I have formed the most special relationship anyone could ever ask for.  

Most people look at my grandmother and understand immediately that she is a kind and gentle spirit, but she is so much more than that.  She is my best friend, my mentor, my guardian angel.  I cannot imagine a day without her.  In fact, I tell her more about my life than I do my own mother and friends.  She and I share the same beliefs, hopes, dreams, and faith.  She is my rock.

We have some people who comment on our relationship saying, "I could only wish my granddaughter would love me as much as you love her."  Some say it's inspirational, and I cannot deny it.

Okay, with all of this understood, that would explain why I spent all day with her today.  I have recently lost my grandfather, her husband whom she was married for 54 years.  When I talked to my grandmother the night he passed, she told me, "I need you here.  For me."  I knew then that my time in Florida was going to be cut short.  I miss grandfather very much, and it is often hard to go to their house without feeling some loss.  It makes me wonder, if I get sad, than how is my grandmother doing?  

She is so strong.  I love the way she looks at life and deals with it.  I never see her upset despite how stressed she must be with his recent passing.  I am afraid to leave her alone, so I make sure we see each other about every other day.  We have even discussed me moving in with her just to keep her company.  But her company is one of the true blessings of being home.  What more could I ask for?  She is the most beautiful woman I have ever known, and I only wish I could be half of what she is some day.

Since I have been home, our activities and outings have ranged from: lunch at her house, her home cooked meal dinners, movies (such as Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs, The Proposal, In Good Company), drinking at Starbucks, and much more.  As much as she says she needs me, I need her just as much.  Seeing her makes living back at home all worth it.

So today was another great day.  We had lunch at Charlie Browns, one of the three restaurants in town, watched some youtube videos, baked cookies, had dinner with my family, and watched Glee.  Nothing spectacular, but at the same time, extra special.

Even though we have a two-generation age difference, our lives seem to have many parallels.  The one we talk about a lot is our seperation from our closest friends.  I will share stories of my times with my roommate in Florida as she will of my grandfather.  We talk about how our time was cut short, how much we miss them, and how much we miss being with them.  This has made our transition so much easier for both of us.

My grandmother makes me realize how much I can accomplish in this world, and she makes me want to be better.  She shows and lives me the true definition of love.  Nothing can express how much a hug, or a hand rub, or any type of affection means from her.  If I ever feel scared or lonely, I know she will always be there.  She has been there through all of my worries, even when I call her as she tries to sleep at night.  She tells me of my future's potential, gives great and critical advice, speaks with an open mind free of bias, and always says, "I love you" at the end of each conversation.  She is the pentacle of unconditional love.

Too sappy?  I think not.  This is how I feel, and I want to express it.  I love my grandmother very much, and saying those words cannot even measure all that I feel for her.  I am so happy she is in my life.  I just pray she is able to get through this tough time knowing that I support her, whole-heartedly and unconditionally.   I love you, grandma! xoxox

I cannot wait to see her again tomorrow. :):)

No comments:

Post a Comment