Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Newest Project - A play?

Hey Bloggers!

So far, it is Tuesday, and nothing this week has happened yet. My job search has not yielded any responses from last week's interviews. I had a few job applications completed, but still waiting to hear.

Anyway, that is not the purpose of this post. In this post, I wanted to tell you all about a project I have been working on with a few friends of mine out here. We are putting on our own play production!

This is something new for me, but I have been following my love for theater, and I joined a group with 6 actors my age and we teamed up. We are all getting frustrated with how life has not gone the way we planned it would, and we wanted to make something for ourselves. Make our own break if you will. So, our group director, wrote a script in April, and we have been rehearsing it every Monday night since.

I am the only non-actor in the group, but it has been amazing to watch how these guys work. It has really exposed me to the methods of acting, and the process one really goes through to get into character. I have never experienced that before, and I have a whole new appreciation for actors.

Anyway, the play is called, Shakespeare is Dead. It is about 6 students in a Shakespeare class want nothing to do with his plays, but the more they learn it, the more they realize it parallels their own life. In other words, the scenes they need to "memorize" for class are directly corresponding to current drama in their life. It is actually a really cool and funny message. I do not know much about Shakespeare, if anything at all, but this play is really funny and has a lot of potential.

We premiere at the Flight Theater in Hollywood July 8-10th. Tickets are $10 or $5, if you talk to me before hand. It is a 40 person theater, and we are hoping to sell out each night. It is a simple production, but we have needed to raise 900 dollars to rent the theater space. So far, we have $725, but still needing a bit more. I am sure we will get it. If you are interested in supporting this, I have pasted the link below. If you want to spread the word, you can tweet #Shakespeareisdead or forward the link below for donations.

My role with the show will be the tech and lighting director. This is a new role for me, but being a part of the theater world has been really rewarding so far. I just hope we can pull off our opening night.

I am proud of myself for being involved in a project that is different, but also exciting. I am proud of the cast and crew for being so dedicated to the project. I hope you will enjoy it too! Until then...



No comments:

Post a Comment