Thursday, July 1, 2010

A Sentence from God

Haha, I crack myself up. I am really going to sound bi-polar...yet again. I promise you I am not!! I can be a bit emotional at times, but never in public, only in my private mind and room. For those who do not know me, I hope you do not think I am crazy. I am really level headed, but I worry an extra lot; that is the way I have ALWAYS been! I hope I do not across in any bad light.

Okay. Got that off my chest.

Today was actually a good day. Nothing spectacular happened, in fact, it was the same old at work. Walked in, was told to run to Trader Joes for some groceries, returned, and in the afternoon, I filed a little bit. Overall... that is it. Really chill, and yes, a bit boring. I know there needs to be more to this job than just the groceries. Have I just come during a really bizzare funk time of transition I guess.

But what made today good were the small things. I feel like I got some signs that I am okay. First, I was included in watching a presentation with my boss that had Rich Ross and Sean Bailey speaking about the film slate for the next year or so. There was nothing there I was not already aware of, but I was happy to hear the leaders speak. I was also happy to remind myself that yes, I do know the Studios inside and out. In fact, I know more than some execs. There was one exec on the live action side that had no idea Tangled is coming out in Novemeber. Really? Someday I will be on top of this Studio, and the awareness of each department will be better.

The video was nice, and I think it shows an interesting future for our future. However, most of our films coming out were by the affiliates we have: Marvel, Miramax, and Touchstone. It may seem like we have 14-16 movies within the next year or so, but Disney Studios, as a production company, does not have much after Tron. I would tell you about what projects are starting, but it is confidential.

Anyway, the video was a great reminder to me that I am in the Studios that really value family entertainment. This is what I want to work for. So, I am in the right spot despite my bitching yesterday. Still don't know if that is film or TV, but I am in the right area for now.

Secondly, I had sent some emails to contacts yesterday. Well today, I got those responses, and they were most certainly needed. One producer in NYC will be happy to talk to me about his experiences. The local assistant to the EVP of Creative Production and I will have lunch sometime next week to offically meet instead of talk on the phone. The HR rep from the GMA job I applied for said she would be happy to help me find I job if I see an opening and to let her know. Awesome. Those are great supportive situations there.

Finally, I got an email from one of the execs I formally temped for two months ago. I had reached out to him to catch up and say I saw his name in the credits of TS3. He responded:

"Great to hear from you, and thanks for the kind words on TS3. Glad you found something on the lot...I like to think we are much more civilized over here. I'll keep you in mind for other opportunities, but hang in there as you've got talent and the right temperament and will find what you are looking for. Hope to see you soon."

Could he have phrased that any better? I HAVE TALENT! I cannot believe those words came from his mouth, or fingers as it was an email. He must have heard what I was complaining about yesterday. I seriously take this as a sign from God. How could I not? As I was really bummed last night, I prayed really hard telling God to give me a sign for some support and direction. This may not be a lead of direction, but this was support. What also gets me about this is, how does the exec know that about me when I only temped for him for 2 DAYS! He was the shortest assigment I had, and yet he knew that about me. Remember when I said in a previous entry that the smallest details really make the difference? This is one of those smallest details.

That small email and one specific sentence really meant a lot to me. It was just the little pick me up I needed today, and for that, my day was good. My back is still hurting pretty badly, but it is improving. Social life is pretty lonely, but maybe July 4th weekend will be busy. Overall, I am still taking it one day at a time...slowly...but surely... I can rest with that.

No comments:

Post a Comment