Monday, November 21, 2011

A Piece of Home Away From Home

Hey Bloggers,

Has it really been a month since my last entry?  I swear, it felt like last week.  Sorry about that.  I'll catch you up in no time.  It seems there have been a few things on my mind this week, and I want to share them with you.

First, in this post, I want to tell you about my mom's trip to LA!  Yes!  My mom flew out in the first week of November for about 5 days to come and see me.  This is the first time my mom has come out here on her own, and it was truly special. I had such a great time with her.

Knowing that Thanksgiving is coming up, and I cannot afford to go home (not with tickets at 650 bucks, which is a flight to NYC to Paris!), so my mom found a deal and came out here instead.  Let me tell you, it was just wonderful having a piece of home out here.

I don't know what it was, but I felt normal and grounded again when she came out here.  I guess LA has a weird way of getting you lost in its small world, so when anyone comes from the outside, you are reminded that there is life beyond the city.

Anyway, my mom's trip was just great.  We went to Santa Monica and rode the ferris wheel on the pier, had funnel cake, watch Casey's volleyball games, and went out to Smokehouse to see a friend's gig.  We also attended some top 10 Volleyball matches at UCLA and USC as well and had some amazing dinner meals (can we say steak dinners and indian food?!)!  And how could I forget, mom bought me some much needed things.... food... actual pillows for my bed and not the throw pillows I've been sleeping on to avoid spending money for the past 18 months.

However, the most important and meaningful thing we did was start apartment hunting.  As you know, I have been dying to get my own place and just call it my own.  I already know the decorations for my room, paint color, and future kitten's names.  The only thing is... I don't know where it is I want to live as well as I can afford.

We checked out about 5 different places, and the prices for a nice one-bedroom are just too far beyond my reach at this stage.  That is heartbreaking but a big reality check.  I just want this apartment so badly, but to know I just can't do it yet, sucks.  We came to the conclusion that I will stay where I am for another 6 or so months to save up and then move out with more of a budget, so I can afford the rent that is beyond my weekly paycheck.

We found this one place that was really nice.  It allowed you to paint, have pets, and had hardwood floors, as well as carpeted bedrooms and was about 2 miles from work, with a grocery store only around the corner.  What more could you ask for?  Well, the rent was too high, so not yet.  I hope to hold out for this place a few more months.  Despite the challenging outcome of not moving out by the new year, I was so glad I could share this experience with my mom.  I have never hunted for an apartment before, and it is encouraging to know that time of my life is finally coming.... just not yet.

Overall, my trip with my mom went so quickly, but it was so needed.  I feel like I have just enough of my "home" battery charged to last me until Christmas.  It is really hard being away from home on Thanksgiving, but I think this will be my 5th one away from home.  Oh well.

I am so thankful for the support and love for my family.  Thank you mom for all you did for me last week, as well as in my life.  I could not have done it without you!  Miss you already!!  Cannot wait till I am home!!

Ashley

No comments:

Post a Comment